Notices

Thread: Honda clr cityfly issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    I am having some problems with the caliper now :'( i have replaced the pistons, bled the brakes, new pads and still it binds! any ideas? is there an adjuster or sommit i am missing?

Please help lol.
    Dave.

2. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    replaced the seals i assume aswell? were the pistons that bad?

3. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Yeah the pistons where terrible! But i checked the seals and they where fine, i just resetted the pistons about 5 mins ago, but didnt make any difference. Its almost as if the pistons arnt retracting enough.

4. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    What you might have to do is remove the seals and clean out the grooves in which they sit - it's a job I had to do years ago on a ZX-9R that I had which had really badly binding brakes. The pistons were pretty crappy but they cleaned up ok with some tlc but behind the seals was loads of salt corrosion which basically pushed them inwards and made them grip the pistons excessively hard and preventing them from returning properly when the lever was released. The remedy was to remove the seals (easily enough done without damaging them if you're careful and they can be re-used) and carefully clean all the crap out of the seal groove. I ended up making a special tool for the job from the stainless steel strips you get in windscreen wiper blades (knew they'd come in useful some time hehe).
    Before refitting the seals it's worth getting some proper brake grease (it's the colour of cherryade) and putting plenty in the seal grooves and on the pistons to ease re-assembly and minimise corrosion returning. Then re-assemble and bleed again. If problems persist it's time to look at the master cylinder (in fact check that it's not holding the brake on before stripping the calliper again)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Thanks for the advice scotty, i will check the seal grooves. When you said check the brakes arnt being held on, what do you mean?
    Cheers.

6. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    what scotty was saying is it may not be a caliper issue but the master cylinder could be faulty and keeping pressure / not releasing therefore holding the brakes on slightly

not sure but if u take the top of master cylinder off then push the piston the fluid level should rise in cylinder res if it doesnt then the master cylinder is playing up ...........just going on past experience

7. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Thanks all for the advice and i have solved it!
    Scotty was right about the seal groves, they were filthy, so i cleaned it all and changed the seals, put it all back together. While i was bleeding the brakes the bleed valve broke away from the caliper!! so i had to repair my original caliper enough to be able to put the pistons back in so i had to go through the whole process again! what a nightmare but i sorted it and now works great... took it for a test ride and reached 60mph!! scared me ****less lol. thanks again to you all.
    Dave.

8. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    glad its sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]