Notices

Thread: Honda clr cityfly issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Hi peeps, been away a while as my comp snuffed it lol.
    My clr is running bloody slow, i have changed the spark plug, fitted a new airfilter, new sprockets and new tyres.
    0-30 is ok but struggles from there i cant even hit 50 on a straight... 5th gear might as well not even be there as the bike goes slower and a slight up hill it goes to about 25mph, i only weigh 12 stone so i dont know what the problem is :'(
    Any ideas,
    Thanks all and its good to be back!

2. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    when u changed the sprockets did u match them up with original?

if you have changed the gearing the engine may not be able to match up and will seem under powered (i changed my gearing on my gsxr so i had more acceleration but 20mph ish less top end)

did you check the spark plug gap?? does the engine run ok?

does it splutter or hesitate to rev? any odd smoke out of exhaust??

i belive the engine u have is from a honda xlr (could be wrong)

3. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Thanks for the reply no smoke and i got the sprocket changed at roy vincents, it doesnt splutter or hesitate on rev and the gearing is stock, also the plug gap is to book spec, just has no guts, way less than the cg125 i rode for my cbt :'(

Dave

4. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Have you had the compression checked? , sounds like a sticky valve, or broken piston ring??
    I've ridden a city fly, they go really well, 60+ mph on a flat road should be no problem.
    I'm sure the more talented mechanics on here should give you some good advice.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

5. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    No i havnt had that checked, I might take it to roy vincent to get it looked at, hopfully its not gonna be major and not be too expensive! Thanks for the info mate

Dave

6. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Could be a number of things.

As toph says, get the compression checked. Also check the carb. Could be dirt in the carb or a split rubber. The only other one is ignition. Check the HT lead and plug. Take the plug out and see if you have a nice bright spark.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Ok, check the fuel filter if you can, this could be a problem if its blocked, also the breather hole in the fuel cap if worth a check to make sure its clear.

8. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Thanks for the advice peeps, i have no idea where the fuel filter is lol but will have a search, i checked the breather hole and is fine, the caliper isnt workin right and binds the break slightly (could be the prob) so i have ordered another one off ebay. Will update when i have fitted the caliper ^^

9. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Front or rear caliper? you could always run the bike up on a rear paddock stand and see how it goes through the gears, you might be able to hear or see something you don't notice when on the bike.

10. Re: Honda clr cityfly issues 
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliways
    Thanks for the advice peeps, i have no idea where the fuel filter is lol but will have a search, i checked the breather hole and is fine, the caliper isnt workin right and binds the break slightly (could be the prob) so i have ordered another one off ebay. Will update when i have fitted the caliper ^^
    On a lower power bike a binding caliper can have a noticeable effect and a must to sort for safety reasons as well. As the heat will build at higher speeds then possible that it will be even more noticeable then.
    Unless it's been knocked likely it will only need a good clean and possibly new piston/seal kit. Be aware that usually a new caliper will not include new seals and piston unless specifically stated in the ad. You would be better off trying to clean/rebuild yours first.
    Roy Vincents should be able to tell you if caliper can be cleaned/rebuilt and give you a price to do so, shouldn't be a huge sum on the CityFly.