Notices

Thread: bike broke down

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: bike broke down 
    Jaydee's recovering from his knee op and is bored stiff at the moment, if you could get the engine to him I'm sure he'd happily pull it apart and sort it out for the cost of the parts and a few kebabs... I can always ask him... :-?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: bike broke down 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Jaydee's recovering from his knee op and is bored stiff at the moment, if you could get the engine to him I'm sure he'd happily pull it apart and sort it out for the cost of the parts and a few kebabs... I can always ask him... :-?
    JD does like his kebabs ;D

3. Re: bike broke down 
    I have done few initial checks today. Took the starter crank case off, that's all fine. Alternator case internals are ok, even though that's not relevant lol.

Took the casing off around the chain sprocket, all appears ok. Nothing obvious broken. Clutch bits seem fine too that go down to that area.

As you can tell I don't really know what I'm looking for. Sounds as though somthing in gearbox has kerplonked.
    I assume engine out job now to get under it? If something gearbox has broken, chances of getting parts ? Cost of parts ?

Will also need to get a rear stand !

4. Re: bike broke down 
    Mate, this is based on worse case scenario, but if it's engine out and splitting time then it's a few hundred £ even if you are doing it by yourself, a gasket set for that is about £120 from Wemoto let alone any bits you may need.

Trust me I know, mine got stuck in neutral once and it was a complete rebuild job.
    I'm not saying your is though, no idea yet
    I've sent you a PM

5. Re: bike broke down 
    I have sent you a text. Will need to buy a torque wrench, and a better set of spanners. And maybe some bit attachments, ive got some but are cheapo versions.

Also a rear stand, found some new for around £25-30 but want somthing 2nd hand ideally, if anyone has anything let me know and ill buy!

6. Re: bike broke down 
    Platinum Member
    Where are you?
    Would be helpful if you could popualte your location as some fols may be willing to help or lend you stuff.

7. Re: bike broke down 
    I've got a rear stand you can borrow if you like or an abba stand (although this may not be of use if your taking the engine out)

8. Re: bike broke down 
    I am in Trowbridge, will sort out a rear stand then get the engine out. Anyone aware of any specific tools needed to remove? How much does an engine weigh ? I assume it drops out the bike ?

Found a good website for steps to remove the engine.

Will get notepad , camera, zip bags to keep all parts and screws together.

I actually seem quite interested..bit of a project... If i can get it fixes I will be very impressed !

Jonney where abouts are you? I would probably need it for around a week to get engine out. I've got this sat off and following thurs,fri,sat,sun. Would that be alright?

9. Re: bike broke down 
    I'm in Swindon and around on sat

10. Re: bike broke down 
    mate this is a mammoth job for someone who hasn't done it before. you will need to support ya bike and your engine (depending how it mounted) and you will want a mate to help you lift it, it is bloody heavy, and if you drop it, you might be scrapping it. not impossible by any means. you'll have it out in a day. label ya engine mount bolts, draw a diagram and mark where they go. they always seem to be what muddles me up. good luck. when you've done it once you'll have a much better knowledge of your bike. make sure you have a haynes, they can be a savior, also sign up to a thundercat forum, any questions you have will be better asked on there than here. good luck!