Notices

Thread: "cheap" parts

1. "cheap" parts 
    hi guys

what are your opinions on "cheap" parts over genuine .

i have bought some head bearings for the gsxr re-build off ebay.

£20 for both bearings and bottom seal. (suzuki's are £80)

now suzuki originals are caged balls in plastic casing.

these ebay ones are tapered roller bearings. i trial fitted them and i just dont like the way they fit...something just doesnt seem right.

am i best off avoiding alternative parts? so far i ahve replaced everything with genuine parts.

1st time i go cheap and it doesnt feel correct

Dan

2. Re: "cheap" parts 
    If it doesn't feel right - it probably isn't!

Some parts (cosmetic) you can go cheap on, but other parts i wouldn't dare to

3. Re: "cheap" parts 
    Banned
    I would suggest that you could get something the same as the suzuki oem bearings from a bearings supplier and sidestep some of the cost without the suzuki sticker on the bag. Did the old shells have a part / make on them like Koyo / SKF / nadella? If you have a bearings supplier nearby they may be able to match something up from the dimensions alone

4. Re: "cheap" parts 
    i have tried that nick but they told me that they cannot get them i will see if i have the old bearings in the bin bag see what details are on them

5. Re: "cheap" parts 
    Get the part numbers off of the original bearings or even better take the original bearings to a bearing supplier and see if they can get it.

I would only ever use OEM parts or NSK, F.A.G (should be FAG but the filter has kicked in) or SKF bearings. You need to know that the bearing can do the job.

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: "cheap" parts 
    Banned
    I have bought online recently for my suspension linkages from www.simplybearings.co.uk, but you'd want to know exactly what you need beforehand.

7. Re: "cheap" parts 
    In my experience, bearings are just not worth skimping on - especially things like head bearings which, relatively speaking, take a bit of time to fit (stripping any bodywork, securing the bike, dropping forks, etc. etc.) - it'll be £80 well spent and at least you know they'll last - just make sure they're well lubricated before fitting

8. Re: "cheap" parts 
    found a local company that supply bearings from exact same people that suzuki use

£20 per bearing

just holding the cheap and the not so cheap you can feel a quality difference

9. Re: "cheap" parts 
    get all the bearings i need normally from bearings on anglo ind est shepton mallet they will try and match.