Notices

Thread: Newbie tourer looking for tips!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    I always take a thick rubber band to wrap around the front brake/right bar. It reduces the chance of the bike moving in rough seas. Obviously keep it in gear too.

Mini chain lube, cable ties, electrical tape, chinagraph pencil for writing directions on the tank/fairing

Copies of all documents just incase, spare bike key and lock key and swap it with the other rider

Good luck!
    lol more stuff I hadn't thought of ;D heading off this Sunday, can't wait!! Still trying to strip down the stuff I'm taking to the bare essentials currently

2. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    have a good trip, hope it goes smooth for you both [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Last years trip to Italy over 10 days I took a Kriega us 20 tail pack and an r 25 rucksack.
    It comprised of 3 pairs of socks and pants (1 to ride in, 1 for the evening and 1 to wash) 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of linen trousers, 1 pair of trainers, 1 pair of board shorts, 3 wicking base layers to ride in,( if you can use morino wool you can get away with 1 as it never smells), 3 t-shirts for the evening and a wash bag (decant everything into small containers that will hold just enough to last the trip.) Lynx do tiny deodorant sprays that take up no room although you will smell like a 14 year old boy.
    My friend Neil did the same trip but with just the r 25 rucksack. He took minimal to a new level.

4. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Last years trip to Italy over 10 days I took a Kriega us 20 tail pack and an r 25 rucksack.
    It comprised of 3 pairs of socks and pants (1 to ride in, 1 for the evening and 1 to wash) 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of linen trousers, 1 pair of trainers, 1 pair of board shorts, 3 wicking base layers to ride in,( if you can use morino wool you can get away with 1 as it never smells), 3 t-shirts for the evening and a wash bag (decant everything into small containers that will hold just enough to last the trip.) Lynx do tiny deodorant sprays that take up no room although you will smell like a 14 year old boy.
    My friend Neil did the same trip but with just the r 25 rucksack. He took minimal to a new level.
    Went to France for a few days camping and doing the Normandy Beach run ... one of the guys took a toothbrush. Seriously, that was all he took. Had to stay upwind after a while ;D

5. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Banned
    Yea toothbrush only is the way to go, need clean clothes just buy some cheap stuff from the hypermarket

6. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1334145921/32#32 date=1335882758]Last years trip to Italy over 10 days I took a Kriega us 20 tail pack and an r 25 rucksack.
    Went to France for a few days camping and doing the Normandy Beach run ... one of the guys took a toothbrush. Seriously, that was all he took. Had to stay upwind after a while ;D[/quote]
    He brushed his teeth? What a gaylord! ;D

7. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    have a good trip, hope it goes smooth for you both [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Cheers mate! I'll pop some pictures up when I get back =)

I've got a little topbox, some textile panniers (Oxford First Time Panniers) and a tank bag; so should have plenty of room to fit everything in hopefully. I'm taking similar amounts of stuff to what you took by the sound of it! And yep, mini Lynx's are a great call! I'm sure I can get over the 14 year old boy thing ;D

8. Re: Newbie tourer looking for tips! 
    Remember to secure rain cover on your panniers - I've lost one when rushing to catch ferry in rain
    Still put everything in bin bags (or similar) in case you are on motorway and do not want to risk ticket by stopping on hard shoulder to put covers when rain catches you!!!
    Some do laminate documents in case of bad weather.