Notices

Thread: fix or strip and sell parts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. fix or strip and sell parts? 
    Ongoing fix problem.. fix or strip for parts. I've got my thundercat gearbox thread here, just want a general concensus on whether to strip and sell or cost of fixing. Has pics on there of gearbox problems

2. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    Bikes are generally worth more in bits, however you always end up with "stuff" left over that noone wants (airboxes, fuse boxes etc.) - it depends on what YOU want fella - do you want the bike fixed to ride, or do you want to cut your losses and sell the bits?

3. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    personally i would hunt down the parts you need , or sell it as spares or repair as it is. if dont sell then break. or find one that needs the parts you have to make good and put on the road . but all depends on what the bike owes you at present.
    just a thought and good luck. ps if i manage to find one i be intouch. cheers

4. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    As a fellow Thundercat owner.... I feel your pain.

Although, you have got to be strong, treat this setback as a challenge, stiffen your upper lip, throw yourself headlong into rebuilding your beloved motorcycle, the financial burden must be put assunder.. the primeval urge to bring your ride back to roadorthy condition must userp all negative thoughts... the gut instinct to ressurect your pride and joy to the open road must be embossed in your very soul.....

(if you want to flog yer can and link pipe... give me a shout!)
    ;D
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

5. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    Quote Originally Posted by python
    As a fellow Thundercat owner.... I feel your pain.

Although, you have got to be strong, treat this setback as a challenge, stiffen your upper lip, throw yourself headlong into rebuilding your beloved motorcycle, the financial burden must be put assunder.. the primeval urge to bring your ride back to roadorthy condition must userp all negative thoughts... the gut instinct to ressurect your pride and joy to the open road must be embossed in your very soul.....

(if you want to flog yer can and link pipe... give me a shout!)
    ;D
    You been reading too many of Gerry's posts?

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    I'll never be in Gerry's league Judy! ;D
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

7. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 

8. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    As per other post.

If the rest is ok, and the parts are there then repair.

The dilemma you have is:

repair - time consuming and usually more costly, but you know what is inside the engine and the quality of the work done.

relace - usually cheaper and quicker but you are buying an unknown quantity. The replacement could be worse that the original!

Check that the fault is not a design issue or common fault. Otherwise you are pi**ing up the wall buying a new engine. Also check the rest of the engine over and see if the repair is cheap.

I personally would repair. Piece of mind is a priceless thing!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    Fix it

10. Re: fix or strip and sell parts? 
    Fix it.