Notices

Thread: what to do..33bhp

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Sounds like you've got the same dilemma I had. All throughout my time as a learner (and even up to taking my test) I had people telling me to buy a big bike and restrict it rather than buy a 250 etc but I knew that I struggled the last time I rode a heavier bike. The thing that helped me make the decision is knowing what sort of riding I wanted to be doing and inevitably what sort of bike I'd want to get/work up to

2. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    that's exactly it - having never ridden a bigger bike I can't say for sure but I'm on tippy's when stationary on my YBR so can only assume having more weight would be an issue. I'm hoping to build up to a bigger bike eventually, of course, but I'm in no rush, which is why I'm going down the restricted route.
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

3. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    If you get a 250, you're insuring, taxing, and running a 250. If you get a restricted 600, you're insuring, taxing, and running a 600. But it only has 33bhp, so goes no quicker than the 250. Direct Access, we've discovered, doesn't suit everyone. When I was younger, the test was done on a 250, then later a 125. Most people didn't jump up to a 600 as their first bike. If they did, it wouldn't have been comparable to a new 600 anyway. Most people stepped up gradually, as they got used to each new bike. Most people now, see DAS as the only way to go. It's not the case, and you shouldn't be pressured one way or the other. You should do what feels right for you. But coming back to the original question, I'd go for a Ninja 250 or Honda CBR250 or Yamaha YBR250 (if you can find one).
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    sounds like you're making a good move and good on you for taking the time to consider it properly. Only you can say what you're comfortable with so it's always good to weigh up the options

5. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    I'd go for a Ninja 250 or Honda CBR250 or Yamaha YBR250 (if you can find one).
    I hear the hyosong gt250 is worth a look

there's also the unrestricted aprilia 125 but they take a bit more looking after

6. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    cheers guys [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

7. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo
    [quote author=Mark_Able link=1334057460/22#22 date=1334092570]
    I hear the hyosong gt250 is worth a look[/quote]

but then again i am biased : the gt is nearly the same size as the 650 so is really easy to get used to the weight and size.

best advice i can offer is already suggested by sitting on a couple and see what 'feels' right....happy hunting
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

8. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    really like the look of the ninjas and found this on fleabay... love the colour :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Honda...#ht_500wt_1374

Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    [quote author=voodoo link=1334057460/24#24 date=1334093180][quote author=Mark_Able link=1334057460/22#22 date=1334092570]
    I hear the hyosong gt250 is worth a look[/quote]

but then again i am biased : the gt is nearly the same size as the 650 so is really easy to get used to the weight and size.

best advice i can offer is already suggested by sitting on a couple and see what 'feels' right....happy hunting [/quote]
    Niiiiice looking bikes, bit pricey from what I can see though?

9. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    wouldn't say they're too pricey compared to some other 250's, found the insurance cheap too.

have a butchers on gumtree plenty of cheap makes around
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

10. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    cheers dan, I'll do that

edit: Oooooh..

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...t250r/99536991