Notices

Thread: what to do..33bhp

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Goldie, I went for the DAS, But could not manage the bigger bike on all the manoeuvres , so I went for the A1 on my 125, which was way easier, also it gave me a lot more confidence. I am looking at the Hornet as it is one of the lighter bikes and my feet can touch the ground comfortably.

2. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Quote Originally Posted by lou1se
    Goldie, I went for the DAS, But could not manage the bigger bike on all the manoeuvres , so I went for the A1 on my 125, which was way easier, also it gave me a lot more confidence. I am looking at the Hornet as it is one of the lighter bikes and my feet can touch the ground comfortably.
    Thanks Lou, that's pretty much what I'm feeling. Fig 8's are a barsteward at the best of times, can't imagine attempting it on a big heavy bike
    cheers lovely x
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

3. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    I'm another 5ft 3 ish/ 40 something female and I thinks it's personal preference with bikes, but I really wouldn't instantly dismiss, or be put off by a big bike.

I've been riding on and off since I was 16 and passed my test ages ago now and I've had several big bikes and they arent as hard to handle as some suggest. In fact I think the weight can be an advantage.

One of my favourites was my old 1200 Bandit - yes its heavyish but very well balanced. I also rode my husbands FJR1300 (not my cup of tea at all but fantastic if you like touring)

I've had about 20 odd bikes since I've been riding and one I would suggest taking a look at is a Bandit 600 - you see plenty restricted and they are a nice bike to ride.

I know someone who had a restricted R1 for 2 years and she loved it.

I'd have a potter around some of the bike shops and sit on a few and see how you find them. The great thing about being a short middle aged woman is that most salesmen still dont take you seriously so assume you wont be buying a bike and dont give you any hassle ;D ;D

4. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Thanks Nikki, I'm not put off by big bikes having ridden pillion for the last 20 odd years. However, I've only been riding solo for the last few months so I'm aware of my limitations, I certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew. ;D

My ex had a bandit along with a hornet, both are nice bikes. Looks like I might have to go sit on a few, methinks
    ps. bit gutted to learn I'm now of an age where I'm considered 'middle' ;D
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

5. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie
    Thanks Nikki, I'm not put off by big bikes having ridden pillion for the last 20 odd years. However, I've only been riding solo for the last few months so I'm aware of my limitations, I certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew. ;D

My ex had a bandit along with a hornet, both are nice bikes. Looks like I might have to go sit on a few, methinks
    ps. bit gutted to learn I'm now of an age where I'm considered 'middle' ;D
    I know what you mean ;D

By the way take along the kids as well when you go look at bikes and you wont get any hassle from salesmen..speaking from experience here!!

One advantage to being 40 ish is cheaper insurance (so its not all bad) ;D ;D I dont have any no claims due to a break in bike ownership and 5 changes in the last 12 months and currently pay about £80 a year for insurance on my GSXR 750

6. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Christ on a bike, that's cheap! I'm currently paying about £160, which I didn't think was too bad! Nice gixxer btw

7. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie
    Christ on a bike, that's cheap! I'm currently paying about £160, which I didn't think was too bad! Nice gixxer btw
    Thank you I love it, one of my favourites so far but we'll see I change bikes like many women change shoes/handbags!!

I did spend quite some time on the net getting that premium - think it was with Compare the Market. I did also restrict the mileage to about 6,000 pa I think it was.

8. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    I went for the restricted licence too - for the same reason as you, it was a lot cheaper doing it on my own 125. Although I'd never pass it now on my CBR, I still can't u-turn that thing ;D

You can restrict pretty much any bike, so rather than thinking about engine size I'd recommend sitting on lots of bikes and seeing which one you feel most comfortable on. Then you can work out how to get it restricted.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

9. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    I did my test on a ybr last October and now have a Suzuki GS 500 that I've got restricted! I'm 5ft 3/4 ish so height is an issue for me as well but I'm almost flat footed on the GS! I'm still learning to click with the bike as I havnt riden it much but it's a good bike, especially as I bought it from mark able so it's used as a training bike

10. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Thanks Loops, I knew it was possible to restrict anything and that some bikes take it better than others. It's the size thing that's more pertinent, you're right. ;D

lol, funny what you say about not passing on your CBR, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even pass my driving test these days having passed it 20 years ago ;D

Oh, that's encouraging, Hazel, thanks for that