Notices

Thread: what to do..33bhp

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. what to do..33bhp 
    I have searched, can't find a thread like this so I'm after some advice.
    I passed my CBT last year and currently have a YBR125. I'm booked in to do my restricted test with Mark Able at the end of the month and am now considering options re restricted licences.
    I'm 5ft 4, 40 years old and female, I'm tempted to go to a restricted 400, for instance, so I get used to the weight without having the power as I'm conscious that the YBR is a bit choked sometimes but I'm also aware of the weight issue - part of the reason I'm doing the restricted licence and not the DAS.
    Obviously, I know it's possible to restrict anything but it's also important to be sensible - it's pointless restricting anything too big & there is always the option of getting an unrestricted 33bhp bike. :-/

Advice please:
    1 do i get a 250/400+ cc bike, restricted - if so which
    2 do I get a 33bhp unrestricted bike - if so, which

aaaggghhhh!! help please! :-/

Ps, I know someone will suggest I do the DAS & I know someone is bound to say, 'I told you so' after my last thread asking whether to do DAS or A2 :P ;D
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

2. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Goldie, I'm 5'1" and I was 42 when I did my unrestricted DAS nearly two years ago, for me I didn't see the point if being restricted for 2 years.
    My first bike was a Yamaha Diversion, was a great bike when acutally riding along, the problem for me came when trying to get it in and out of my garage, and slow manoeuvres i.e. beginning and end of rides. Bike was way too heavy for me and height didn't help.
    I now ride a Monster 696, it's such a light bike and seat height much lower.
    From experience, it's good to get peoples thoughts on various bikes, but actually getting on one and riding it is the best thing you can do. Good luck
    It's Lilac... not pink!

3. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    do the DAS, you may as well, effectively its the same test! would you buy 1 lottery ticket for a fiver if you could get ten????
    As for the bike, that really depends on what style you like and how deep your pockets are???

4. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    See, I know people told me I wouldnt stay on a 125 for long but I didn't want to struggle with the weight/height thing so decided to stick with it, do my test on my 125 and see how I felt as the restriction ticked away.
    Jacde, that's where I'd struggle - I have enough problems getting my YBR in and out of the garage and always reverse paddle it ;D

I don't ride my bike daily, in fact, I can go a fortnight without riding it sometimes (kids, life, etc gets in the way and I'm a fair weather rider lol) so the 2 years doesn't seem a problem for me.
    Newnut - money is tight - i'm a poor student with 3 kids that eat their own bodyweight in food daily. ;D
    the difference in price is £300 ish, not quite the same as another 5 lotto tickets :-/ is it really, essentially the same test?
    I was also considering insurance too - atm it's not too bad on a 125, after 2 more years, i'll have built up NCB :-?

In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

5. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    my bad, i forgot it cost more. it is the same test though, just on a bigger bike.
    Insurance isn't too bad on bikes especially compared to cars. As a new rider, (had to retake test after ban) on my 900cc blade age 31 it was 350 quid, now a year on its 250ish

6. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    With the Diversion I never ever sat on it to get it in and out of the garage I always pushed it in/out!
    There is no difference in the practical tests at all apart from the bike you choose to do it on and therefore the licence you get once you pass.
    Cat A1- An engine capacity not exceeding 125cc
    A max power output of 11 kW (14.6 bhp)
    Cat A2 - This licence allows you to ride any motorcycle with a power output not exceeding 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW / kg for two years.
    Cat A - A standard motorcycle licence and can ride any size bike.
    The fee is the only difference, the fee, Cat A is slightly more money.
    It's Lilac... not pink!

7. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    cheers guys

8. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    I had a unrestricted 250 then a 33bhp restricted Sv650.

If money is tight I'd go for the 250 option. Chances are you won't need to restict and most 250 will do 60-70mph.

The schools charge less for a 125 test as the bikes cost less to run, but the test itself is exactly the same.

As to bikes, either a Honda CB or CBF250. Lot about, get a 90's or newer one. Cheap too.

For restricted bikes, CB500 has to be my suggestion. Great first bike. HAndles well and not too crippled by the restriction.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    Would a restricted Suzuki SV 650 not fit the bill?.

10. Re: what to do..33bhp 
    possibly, they look nice and would suit my short-arse-ablity ;D