Notices

Thread: Puncturesafe Blue Goo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Platinum Member
    the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.
    +1

Recently I had a screw right in the middle of my tyre.
    Rob Jones said he wouldn't repair it.
    JHS in Keynsham said they would but I'd have to sign a disclaimer about it being only suitable for up to 75 mph.

I got a new one, but along the way I got many totally different opinions.

2. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=Ducatista link=1340225631/8#8 date=1340705493]
    It does seem that whatever subject you pick - tyre repairs, waterproofs, scottoilers, preventative tyre sealants that you can get totally opposite view points.

VERY true!

Its not for me either - the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.
    [/quote]

Isn't that half the fun of WB..... would be pretty quiet on here if we all agreed with each other.

I don't use tyre sealant apart from a "get you home" fix. The cub has tubed tyres and a new tube is pittance, the GS gets tubes fitted if the tyres are new or a new tyre if nearly worn out and I tend to buy new tyres for the sv out of paranoia.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 

Isn't that half the fun of WB..... would be pretty quiet on here if we all agreed with each other.

I beg to differ !!!

4. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    the price of a new tyre is absolutely insignificant compared to what I'm worth as far as I'm concerned.
    +1

Recently I had a screw right in the middle of my tyre.
    Rob Jones said he wouldn't repair it.
    JHS in Keynsham said they would but I'd have to sign a disclaimer about it being only suitable for up to 75 mph.

I got a new one, but along the way I got many totally different opinions.
    Just a thought but if it was an Avon tyre they used to (and may still do?) offer a free replacement subject to certain conditions if you suffer a puncture on a relatively new tyre.

5. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Platinum Member
    Worth knowing but no it was a Michelin.
    I believe Michellin do allow repairs on Z-rated tyres within certain criteria unlike some other manufacturers, but with the advice I got I decided to replace.

Bit of a bummer but it's not that serious in the scheme of things.

6. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Diamond Member
    Personally I have used a tyre plugger kit on two occasions both of which were kept in for the life of the tyre with no problems - these use mushroom shaped plugs that are inserted externally. One puncture however I decided couldn't be safely plugged and bought a new one even though the old tyre was virtually brand new. On these repairs I have not kept to any particular speed limit with the repairs which were on rears however I would if it was on a front tyre and in that case would only treat it as a temporary repair.

I would never use a puncture sealant plus it would really mess up the tyre pressure monitors fitted to the GS.

This is based on my own criteria for deciding if its safe to repair or not, my own judgement concerning the repair, whether to replace or not and taking my own responsibility for dealing with the problem should the repair fail. Some times we have to make our own decisions in life......... IMHO of course!

However, if I fixed someone else's tyre at their request I would recommend they treat it as a temporary repair only, not to exceed 40mph and get it professionally repaired for their own safety

7. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Everyone has different opinions and will decide what works for them

For me and my riding style, this stuff works and means I don't have to worry about getting a flat tyre - I can ride home and deal with it there instead of maybe being stranded on my own in the middle of nowehere waiting for recovery.

If you do fit it, it doesn't mean you no longer have to check your tyres over, in fact as someone said above, it almost makes it more important as that's the way you'll notice problems instead of your tyre being flat.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

8. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    I have used puncture safe ever since I had to replace a punctured brand new rear on the DV because the tyre is Z rated and I couldn't get anyone to repair it, even though the bike can't do the rated speed.

9. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Platinum Member
    because the tyre is Z rated and I couldn't get anyone to repair it, even though the bike can't do the rated speed.
    My recent experience is that places are now more reluctant to repair.
    I don't think that's financially driven, but driven by companies being more risk averse.

I had a puncture in a Michellin Z rated tyre (pilot road 2) in June 2010.
    JHS in Keynsham repaired it and I'm pretty sure he said something akin to "ride it like you stole it".

I had a very similar pucture recently in 2012 - screw in the middle of the tread.
    This time JHS said you need to sign the disclaimer with the 75mph limit. That doesn't mean it's going to fall apart at 75 but that they aren't willing to accept liability.

I don't think it's financially driven as some people won't repair so they are prepared to turn down your business.

10. Re: Puncturesafe Blue Goo 
    Banned
    Good idea if you're off touring abroad