Notices

Thread: Helmet Damage?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    If it was me I wouldn't bother.

The manufacturer will tell you that you should as would the dealer.
    If the outside is fine (assuming that it's a composite shell) then so is the inside.

At the end of the day it's your choice.

2. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I'd replace.

The damage is to the polystryene lining inside the shell of the helmet. The only way to assess this is with an X-ray of the hat.
    it's a Shark RSF3 if that makes any difference??? you can see the poly lining when i remove the inner padding and looks ok?
    dammit, i guess replace is the safest option :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    helmet Q
    It is designed to withstand one impact from over four feet with your head inside. If there is nothing inside the impact absorbing liner (Single or Dual Denisity Foam) would not be compressed by the drop. It might scratch the outer (Painted) shell but as long as the shell is not cracked you would be okay. ALL testing (DOT, SNELL, or EEC) involves a drop with a head shaped weight inside not a empty helmet.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_high_u...#ixzz1uTbkqgyX
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Here's a write up on the subject by MCN writer Kevin Ash:

Ride magazine did a test on helmets being dropped a few years ago and it was something I wrote about too - helmet manufacturers clearly have an interest in encouraging you to buy a new helmet if you drop one, and they also have to cover themselves as it can in theory be damaged in a drop, if it lands on a hard, sharp edge for example. But Ride lobbed helmets out of a first floor window onto a concrete floor then took them apart to assess the damage, and there was none in any of them. Nor should there be, a helmet is designed to take a hard impact while containing a 5kg head, and yes, I know it absorbs the higher forces by permanent collapse, but still when it's dropped while empty the forces are far less, there's much less inertia to deal with. Dropping it is also a very low speed impact for a helmet compared with what it's expected to deal with in a crash, and frankly even if it lands on a sharp edge from half a metre or so it's unlikely to sustain significant damage.

After I wrote about this in my MCN column, naturally there were manufacturers calling me irresponsible etc, but interestingly a few off the record, and Nolan on the record, said this was quite right, a helmet can withstand being dropped from typical bike tank and hand held heights without being damaged enough to need replacing.

5. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1336640896/4#4 date=1336641900]I'd replace.

The damage is to the polystryene lining inside the shell of the helmet. The only way to assess this is with an X-ray of the hat.
    it's a Shark RSF3 if that makes any difference??? you can see the poly lining when i remove the inner padding and looks ok?
    dammit, i guess replace is the safest option :-/[/quote]

No its where the polystryene meets the glass fibre shell that takes the hit. Impossible to see.

It's your head and your choice at the end of the day. But there are some very good hats out there for very little cash.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Diamond Member
    This is just one of those choices in life that you have to make and live with the consequences. You will always get contradictory statements and answers when asking these kinds of questions. You would get the same when asking about tyre repairs - some will say yes, others will say no. Both answers are correct because its down to personal choice. There is'nt a law to tell you what to do. Its your head and your life so for everyone else its an easy comment to make because their life is not affected either way.

For the record, if I dropped my helmet and heard a sharp "crack" I would replace it. I'm worth more than £400 which is what I might end up paying. I will however repair a rear tyre puncture myself and ride it until its worn out. I will also repair a front tyre but in that case I will get the tyre replaced at the earliest opportunity. These are my choices and based on my own personal "Risk Assessment". You will need to do the same.

7. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Platinum Member
    I'd get a new one.
    Based on the fact that your head is pretty important - I mean you can even live without a limb but not without your head.

I agree with Graeme about different opinions.
    I recently had a nail in my tyre.
    Loads of people said repair it, some said no way.
    In the end I knew I'd be happier replacing it rather then worrying about it all the time, so I replaced it, but plenty of people would have repaired it.

I'm probably risk averse, after all in 14 years of riding I've never had to rely on a helmet - but then you never know when there will be a first time.

But overall "a hell of a crack" would indicate to me that something broke and they are only designed to work once.

8. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Platinum Member
    If there is no visible damage, it's more than likely there is nothing wrong. I recall Arai saying a 4 foot drop of the helmet was fine, as long as there isn't a head inside it. I would still use it personally, but if you want a new helmet, it's a good excuse.

9. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Banned
    Shark RSF3 4 star helmet

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shark-rsf3

Personally after what has been said here I'd risk it.
    Mine is only for keeping the flies out of my face, I never intend to have an accident 8-)

10. Re: Helmet Damage? 
    Banned
    But if I was in the market for a new helmet I'd buy one of these
    http://formotorbikes.com/nexx-xr1r-carbon-white.html