Notices

Thread: Chain maintenance

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Chain maintenance 
    Banned
    I've been using chain wax on my chain but it looks horrible now. I asked the bloke (nice older brother) in GM Stevens about different ways to lube the chain. He said wax is good because it doesn't fling off but you're supposed to clean it each time before you put more on. Oops :-/

He was explaining the difference between the different products and gave me too many choices
    I quite like the sound of the dry coat one.

Basically I need to clean all the muck off of mine and re do it

So as some of you lot seem quite knowledgeable about bike stuff I thought I'd see what everyone else suggests.
    What do you use??
    And what's the best way to clean a chain??

Ta

2. Re: Chain maintenance 
    Platinum Member
    For cleaning it i use white spirit and an old tooth brush, then rub it over with a rag, then i use Wurth Chain lube, bout £6 from halfords, seems to do the job nicely

3. Re: Chain maintenance 
    I found the wax to be crap. It gets all clogged up and it's hard to clean off. Put the bike on a padock stand. Get a good de-greasing spray and coat the chain and sprocket. Let it soak in then use a cotton rag to get the loose stuff off. Use a tooth brush to get the stuck on crud off then us your lube of choice. Like G3o said wurth do a good product. Put it on the inside of the chain (the bit that touches the teeth) and leave for as long as possible.

4. Re: Chain maintenance 
    I use silkolene, an old electric toothbrush and an old tshirt to clean the chain. Doing commuting miles means alot of love is required to keep the swine clean!
    I have used loads of different products and Wurth seems to be the best stuff for me. Castrol was the next best stuff.
    It's a minefield, but stick to dry lubes because the other stuff is more graft when it needs cleaning.
    Like Dan said, leave it for as long as possible because otherwise you will spending forever getting your wheels clean again.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

5. Re: Chain maintenance 
    oil your chain after a ride as the old crude and oil will be warmer and slightly easier to remove plus i guess due to the heat and expansion the links will be a little further spaced between the o-rings allowing the new oil to penetrate between the links.

my personal method is go for a ride (any excuse) clean crap off with rag and tooth brush, spray oil along rear sprocket and lower half of chain, avoiding over spray on your rear wheel and leave to dry over night to minimise chain fling, i do this ever 200 miles and use Rock oil as it's slightly thicker than others i've seen
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

6. Re: Chain maintenance 
    I had a can of Wurth dry lube a couple of years ago - no fling on the rear wheel because there was bugger all on the chain, it wore out during the use of that can so never again. > I've managed to find some PJ1 blue label lube, brilliant stuff; spray the chain after a ride (as described, but it doesn't penetrate the O-rings) leave overnight and it won't need doing again for ages. Very little rear wheel cleaning needed too. Top stuff , recommended 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: Chain maintenance 
    Platinum Member
    Scottoiler, ignore the naysayers, i've seen 30k miles on a sportsbike with one.

8. Re: Chain maintenance 
    Old bit of diesel on a rag or soke it if possable i use normal grease and work it vinto my chain , i clean my chain with a rag every time before i tighten and relube , i get a little fling but not a much as chain lube and seems to work very very well ,as i have only adjusted my chain teice in 12 months and my sprockets are still like new iv done 3.500 miles on them since fitted .hope this helps ohh and my way is alot cheaper and better for the enviroment . ;D

9. Re: Chain maintenance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    I had a can of Wurth dry lube a couple of years ago - no fling on the rear wheel because there was bugger all on the chain, it wore out during the use of that can so never again. > I've managed to find some PJ1 blue label lube, brilliant stuff; spray the chain after a ride (as described, but it doesn't penetrate the O-rings) leave overnight and it won't need doing again for ages. Very little rear wheel cleaning needed too. Top stuff , recommended 8-)
    Same here. Found the dry stuff useless. I have silkolene chain lube. Applied to the chain after a ride, it soaks in and dosent fling. Works on non o-ring chain as well.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Chain maintenance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Scottoiler, ignore the naysayers, i've seen 30k miles on a sportsbike with one.
    I can beat that! Had my Blade from new and just had the original chain and sprockets replaced after 35,000 miles with a Scottoiler fitted. If you plan on keeping your bike for any length of time, they pay for themselves. And if you're a dumb blonde who can't adjust their own chain, it won't need doing between services either ;D