Notices

Thread: Why can't bikes have a light

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Why can't bikes have a light 
    Banned
    that tells when you're are in top gear???
    I don't care about knowing which gear I'm in except top. Surely bike manufactures could do that?

I can't be the only one that has to check for another gear even though I've already looked at my revs and speedo?
    Life would be so much nicer if there was a little light on my dash that told me I'm in top

2. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Second that one.

3. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    some do have a gear indicator but there are times i do search for another gear when it's already in 5th (top)
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Banned
    Yea I know some bikes do and you can even buy an add on something that tells you what gear you're in but who cares if they are in 2nd 3rd 4th? Top gear is the only one you need to know about :P

What happened to your 6th gear??

5. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Yep the amount of times I have gone to change gear and I am already in top is unbelievable.

6. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    don't need a 6th the other five hold enough pull for me...seriously if you cane it, it pulls like a train in any gear and any rev. have pulled away in 4th before ;D

editted for typos :P
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

7. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    Yep the amount of times I have gone to change gear and I am already in top is unbelievable.
    It's a tad annoying to say the least ;D

8. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    What a bunch of whining pussies you guys are! Are you bikers or old women FFS? So what if your bike doesn't tell you which gear you're in, are you incapable of deducing that for yourselves? Evidently so... How long does it take to try for another gear only to find you're already in top, a quarter of a second? Is it that big a deal? Jumping ****ing Jesus, get a grip, there are more important things to worry about, if you're whingeing about lights a more appropriate moan would be about the feeble headlights that most bikes come equipped with nowadays. That IS a subject worth griping about... :
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    What a bunch of whining pussies you guys are! Are you bikers or old women FFS? So what if your bike doesn't tell you which gear you're in, are you incapable of deducing that for yourselves? Evidently so... How long does it take to try for another gear only to find you're already in top, a quarter of a second? Is it that big a deal? Jumping ****ing Jesus, get a grip, there are more important things to worry about, if you're whingeing about lights a more appropriate moan would be about the feeble headlights that most bikes come equipped with nowadays. That IS a subject worth griping about... :
    ;D ;D ;D

Don't need a light.... don't need a neutral light. You'd find brit bikes hell..... no neutral light or tachometer and lots of false neutrals to find..... Just pull up on the lever till it goes no further.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Why can't bikes have a light 
    Diamond Member
    I have gear indicators on both bikes - never use them. You should be in the correct gear in terms of engine load and conditions - the only way of knowing that is feel and experience for the road conditions and your speed. I'm not about to take my eyes off the road to see what gear I'm in either :

The manufacturers who fit them then try and get clever and fit loads of safety features so you can't start the bike unless its in neutral etc., and these are often linked to the light not the gearbox. This is a right royal pain when the indicator fails as the bike just won't start regardless even if you're in neutral and the clutch switch is also activated.

Its only slighty useful to show when you're in neutral as that prevents the need to slip the clutch when stationary but other than that they're of little use.