Notices

Thread: braking in the corners

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. braking in the corners 
    Hi peeps,

whats the best way to slow down when in a corner?
    was out yesterday and got caught out by a car cutting the bend on a B road and perhaps i was slightly overcooked going into it (within the limit tho) but i swerved to avoid and back again to stay on the road and ended up with a bit of a tank slapper that thankfully sorted itself but wouldn't want to repeat it, anything i could have done to avoid this as really didn't want to brake on the turn.
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: braking in the corners 
    Platinum Member
    It sounds like you made things worse by trying to avoid using the brakes. It certainly is possible to use the brakes safely.

Maybe you should consider one of the Rider performance days at Castle Coombe. You can learn this kind of stuff and practice it in the safe environment of a track without worrying about on-coming traffic.

3. Re: braking in the corners 
    na, you jumped in the deep end,best way to learn I was always told. lol. you avoided the colision and didnt come off, good enough in anyones book! you can trail brake etc but in an emergency a lot comes down to just don't panic and jump on the brakes hard, which you did. well done. Josh brooks had a tank slapper last week, put a hole in his tank and smashed his screen, he didn't come off either, now thats incredible!!

4. Re: braking in the corners 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    Hi peeps,

whats the best way to slow down when in a corner?
    was out yesterday and got caught out by a car cutting the bend on a B road and perhaps i was slightly overcooked going into it (within the limit tho) but i swerved to avoid and back again to stay on the road and ended up with a bit of a tank slapper that thankfully sorted itself but wouldn't want to repeat it, anything i could have done to avoid this as really didn't want to brake on the turn.
    I'm certainly not qualified to give you a better answer than Ducatista but maybe think about the way you are approaching corners?

No excuses for the bad driving from the car but could you have done more to help yourself before getting to the bend - considering speed and positioning. Maybe some advanced training would help - it certainly has for me.

5. Re: braking in the corners 
    I understand the road positioning POV and how i'm partly responsible for what happenend but i'd like to know whats the best way to lose the speed in a bend, how do i slow safely? should i have accelerated into the swerve? Basically how do you rescue a bend when things go wrong?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

6. Re: braking in the corners 
    Theres a very good guide to cornering on utube, i will try to find it as it covers a lot of different situations, i would use a little rear brake but try to avoid using the front as it will make the bike stand up, limiting your options, keeping the throttle on will keep the rear compressed, and therefore improve the grip level.

7. Re: braking in the corners 
    some good advice. lifting off the throttle will shift the weight onto the skinny front tyre which obv gives you less contact with the black stuff. I got away with a very mild tank slapper when doing the hazard avoidance on my mod 1 as I grabbed the brake half a second too early - a feat that I won't be repeating again in a hurry so I try to stick with using the rear brake to bring the back end round whilst shaving speed off slowly

8. Re: braking in the corners 
    Platinum Member
    It's important to relax when cornering, tensing up can cause target fixation, running wide and hedge surfing. Therefore i suggest having a few beers before going out for a ride.

9. Re: braking in the corners 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    It's important to relax when cornering, tensing up can cause target fixation, running wide and hedge surfing. Therefore i suggest having a few beers before going out for a ride.
    ;D

10. Re: braking in the corners 
    Platinum Member