Notices

Thread: Braided Hoses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Yes. Braded hoses make a difference, but if you need to brake that hard you are probably going too fast!

The theory is that the hoses are stiffer and resist expansion more than the standard rubber hoses. This means that less pressure is wasted in the hose and so increases the pressure in the caliper. It's not a lot but I've noticed a difference on the SV.

As said above, I'd not bother unless the lines need replacing.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Your R6 should have good brakes as standard

3. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Wot Jon W sez, regarding braided hoses.

It might be worth noting that most manufacturers give their OE rubber hoses a life span of between 5 to 7 years.
    If yours are older than this, I'd consider changing them, anyway.
    While you're at it, change the bleed nipples for stainless ones.

4. Re: Braided Hoses 
    All braided lines do, is give you a 'firmer' feel at the lever. It doesn't improve your braking, only you can do that. Decent pads can make a huge difference, but will wear your discs out a lot quicker. If you need to improve the standard brakes on an R6, you shouldn't be riding like that on the road. I only modified the brakes on my R1 when I took it on the track. They were more than adequate on the road.

There is another advantage to braided lines though. They're are less likely to be damaged in a crash. This is the main reason they insist on braided lines when you go racing. Also, the lines should be run seperately down each fork leg, not looped over the top over the mudguard. If a tyre delaminates, it is less likely to damage the brake lines.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Braided Hoses 
    In my experience braided hoses make no difference whatsoever. What does make a big difference is changing to HH sintered pads and making sure the brake fluid is changed every 2 years.

6. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Platinum Member
    Would recommend braided lines as a replacement for standard rubber lines, standard lines will have as already stated a life of 5-7 years, after which they will expand on use, giving a spongy feel to your lever, regardless of how much the system is bled?

A full system refresh (caliper rebuild, stripped & cleaned with new seals) & of course new fluid will feel like what they are - new brakes!

HH sintered pads will bite better dry or wet conditions at the expense of extra disc wear? Dont forget the option of new/wavy discs...

Everybody has a different ideal brake feel. At the end of the day they are just as important as your tyres from keeping you off the road, look after them!

Brakes only slow you down.

7. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Diamond Member
    They make your brakes better purely because they look cool. Everyone knows that when something looks cool, it goes faster and stops quicker! [smiley=lolk.gif]

8. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Diamond Member
    I'm by no means a mechanic. With that said, I can only think that decent pads & brake fluid would help.... :

9. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Diamond Member
    On my K1100RS I changed the rubber hoses to braided S/S when they were about 14 years old. I found a pin prick leak in one so just decided to change them all. Very little difference to be honest in braking power, maybe a little bit more precise in use but that was all. I had already switched to HH Sintered EBC pads and it was that that had transformed the brakes from merely good to sensational. For 20 year old brakes they can haul the K bike down from speed quicker than with the new GSA which are fitted with Ferodo Platinum organic pads and the bikes weigh almost the same at around 285Kgs. The disks do wear more quickly but I'm fairly light on the brakes in normal riding so they are lasting well. I wouldn't bother with wavy disks myself as I see them as purely cosmetic and add nothing to braking efficiency.

10. Re: Braided Hoses 
    Diamond Member
    My Z1000 has holws & waving disc's, like snowy says purely cosmetic