Notices

Thread: Motorway riding

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Do you think there is more chance of being seen?

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. So whilst you are pootling down on high beam, the car driver has a split second to make a judgement whether to dash for that gap in the other lane...kerblam. I think you'd be seriously lucky to get 100% in your favour if it went to court too.

2. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    :-X to flash or not to flash :-X
    ;D ;D ;D

That's up to you..... but don't blind the cars and only do it when filtering!!!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Yes Do you think there is more chance of being seen? Yes. I'm still here to write about it

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. .
    We agree to disagree on this. Where does it state the fact you have quoted, do you have evidence to back the fact.

Riding on motorway is not a regular event. However, on the rare occassion I do & should I find myself having to filter then I shall continue to flash : "Headlight"

4. Re: Motorway riding 
    Slightly off topic but still on the topic of high beam - what do you all do when your riding home in winter (assuming your still using your bike at this time of year like me) along country roads with no one else about. you may or may not have full beam on and then BAM a car comes round the corner and either takes an eternity to switch to low beam or doesnt do it at all (particulary when on a bend). I find this really off putting and do get quite pizzy about it. Regardless of whether i had been riding with mine on it goes back on and stays on and stays on. > Why oh why is the class of drivers so different to the class of riders generally when it comes to being courteous?!

5. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    Slightly off topic but still on the topic of high beam - what do you all do when your riding home in winter (assuming your still using your bike at this time of year like me) along country roads with no one else about. you may or may not have full beam on and then BAM a car comes round the corner and either takes an eternity to switch to low beam or doesnt do it at all (particulary when on a bend). I find this really off putting and do get quite pizzy about it. Regardless of whether i had been riding with mine on it goes back on and stays on and stays on. > Why oh why is the class of drivers so different to the class of riders generally when it comes to being courteous?!
    Personally, I would have dipped my lights whether in the car or not & then flicked high beam back on. I suppose it's no more different than a driver having rear fog light on when it's not foggy.

6. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1332796573/70#70 date=1342709061]Why do you use high beam whilst filtering? Yes Do you think there is more chance of being seen? Yes. I'm still here to write about it

It's a fact that when you ride on high beam, motorists cannot judge how far away you are. .
    We agree to disagree on this. Where does it state the fact you have quoted, do you have evidence to back the fact.

Riding on motorway is not a regular event. However, on the rare occassion I do & should I find myself having to filter then I shall continue to flash : "Headlight"
    [/quote]

Google it, there's enough info on the net, it's not my opinion.

7. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    As I said we agree to disagree having read this article (See Link)
    http://www.allaboutbikes.com/feature...our-high-beams.

8. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    As I said we agree to disagree having read this article (See Link)
    http://www.allaboutbikes.com/feature...our-high-beams.
    It's an American article, they all ride on full beam in daylight over there.

9. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    High beam users hold a special place in my hatred along with inappropriate fog light users and middle lane crawlers. It is not safe, it doesn't help anybody and it pisses off everyone around you, it's also kind of counter productive in that you can be seen but we can't tell how far away you are. I reckon a good solicitor would beat a high beam user in court too.
    High beam/ fog light users are not respecting others on the road.

I will putt all thinking together in points:

1. Earplugs - research proves constant loud noise can harm your ears 8-)
    2. Wind protection - prolonged 70mph+ might get you cold
    3. Predict weather if possible (wind, rain, sun in your visor...)
    4. Keep to your speed and change lanes when needed
    a. Lifesavers, lifesavers and once more lifesavers.
    b. I found it while going "faster" mirrors are enough, but check them frequently
    5. Filtering only between fastest line and middle lane i.e. On M4 3 lanes so use 2-3, on M25 4 lanes use 3-4. Remember to stay on lower gear for longer than usual in need for sudden power or engine breaking.
    a. Fast traffic filtering (above 50mph) - try not to. It is fun, but very risky one.
    b. Stationary or up to 20mph I use hazards and sometimes revs as Bandit is a quiet bike. Remember not to rev when passing between cars as you can scare unprepared driver/passenger (heart attack ready )
    c. Try looking for signs of drivers moving heads indicating to you they about to change lane. It's difficult, but gives some warning if spotted.
    6. Always say thanks to drivers that moves out of way. Hand up, thumb up or head nod.
    7. Do not shout on these who makes your filtering difficult, they might have been looking where is beginning of that traffic jam and not see you (excluding these difficult, thick and boorish, twats lol - sorry for language)

Feel free to add/remove as I hope some will find it useful.
    Sorry if this looks like small book lol

10. Re: Motorway riding 
    My lord this is going on, just do it?.