Notices

Thread: Motorway riding

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Re: Motorway riding 
    Well done
    Which bike you use?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: Motorway riding 
    I used the kwaka... I don't take the Harley out unless the roads are dry and I don't think I would want to take the Harley on the motorway, its just a bit too naked

The ER6f had just enough wind protection to make it a comfy ride while crusing at about 80mph (yes Im a chicken and a law-abiding citizen most of the time)

3. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    High beam users hold a special place in my hatred along with inappropriate foglight users and middle lane crawlers. It is not safe, it doesn't help anybody and it pisses off everyone around you, it's also kind of counter productive in that you can be seen but we can't tell how far away you are. I reckon a good solicitor would beat a high beam user in court too.
    Don't use high beam unless it's dark
    Nor do I sit in the middle, use fog light inappropriately

If I do use the motorway & find myself having to filter. Then I use high beam. Then if you then switch lanes & SMIDSY. Just hope you have got a good solicitor :

4. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Inconsiderate to other road users and selfish, If you're really that scared of getting knocked off when out on a bike, put it away and get on a bus.

5. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    I rode on the motorway for the first time today - only a short run down the M4 from Bristol to Chippenham. I was a little apprehensive at first but after a couple of miles I relaxed. It was easy and not scary at all. I even overtook some stuff including other bikes ;D If I can do it, anyone can - I'm the wimpiest rider ever

One thing did spring to mind though - I wish I had put some ear plugs in as riding at that constant speed for any extended period sure does give a headache from the wind noise.
    Nice one!!! Glad you got on a had a go.... isn't that scary.

Yes, the tinnitus after a long motorway ride is annoying!!!!

Does your ER6 have a fly screen??? I fitted one to the GS and that made an appreciable difference to the wind blast.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Inconsiderate to other road users and selfish, If you're really that scared of getting knocked off when out on a bike, put it away and get on a bus.
    How am I being inconsiderate by letting people know I'm there..? Not scared of being knocked, just don't want it to happen & that means flashing my lights to make people aware of that I'm here then so be it.

The current Highway Code is clear and unambiguous about the use of flashing headlights; Rule 110 states:

'Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.' :

A flash before overtaking might attract a two-fingered gesture from the driver ahead :P, but at least you will know he's seen you.

Perhaps if you get so annoyed by my actions then "Get the Bus" :

7. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Riding with high beam will blind other road users, it's not rocket science.

8. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Riding with high beam will blind other road users, it's not rocket science.
    I agree with you. Didn't say I was riding with high all the time, merely while filtering on motorways or "flashing high beam"

9. Re: Motorway riding 
    :-X to flash or not to flash :-X
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

10. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    :-X to flash or not to flash :-X
    Yeah Man 8-)