Notices

Thread: Motorway riding

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    1 point not touched on or I may have missed it. Filtering on the motorway. That will happen at some point on your journey. I find putting your high beam on or even keep flashing your high beam as your riding. Because some driver(s) will switch lanes & not see you.

2. Re: Motorway riding 
    good tip Stu, i'm waiting for the weather so at this rate i'll never try the motorway
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    1 point not touched on or I may have missed it. Filtering on the motorway. That will happen at some point on your journey. I find putting your high beam on or even keep flashing your high beam as your riding. Because some driver(s) will switch lanes & not see you.
    The other tip right or wrong - Filtering slow/stationary traffic particularly on motorway/dc i keep in a low gear for two reasons... the bike is noisier so gets more attention from cars etc but also as soon as you roll the throttle off you are slowing considerably helping you in situations where a car cuts across you.

4. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Bikers with full beam are just stupid, if i'm driving a car, the last thing i need is to be blinded by a twot on a bike. Oops sorry mate, you blinded me just before i knocked you off.

5. Re: Motorway riding 
    Agreed. Normal beam is plenty.

Filtering on the motorway is no different to filtering on any other road. Nice and slow and beware of doors opening, car changing lanes etc. I tend to stick in between two lanes and stay there as opposed to weaving in and out of different lanes.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    good tip Stu, i'm waiting for the weather so at this rate i'll never try the motorway
    Have you thought about getting some professional training? Maybe advanced rider training or seeing if any of the bike instructors will offer a motorway session?

It's ever so easy to learn bad habits from someone who has been riding for a few years and got a bit out of date.

7. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=porkies link=1332796573/41#41 date=1342102066]good tip Stu, i'm waiting for the weather so at this rate i'll never try the motorway
    Have you thought about getting some professional training? Maybe advanced rider training or seeing if any of the bike instructors will offer a motorway session?

It's ever so easy to learn bad habits from someone who has been riding for a few years and got a bit out of date. [/quote]

Give Mark Able a shout. I'm sure he'd help you out at a price [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Bikers with full beam are just stupid, if i'm driving a car, the last thing i need is to be blinded by a twot on a bike. Oops sorry mate, you blinded me just before i knocked you off.
    Totally agree Mitch A 'I am' type character once undertook me in lane 3--that is a no no-- then him and some other twonck had the nerve to complain about my filtering between lanes 1 and 2 saying the traffic moved onto their lane....they were then filtering poorly--total twanks--

..seem to remember them being told learn how to ride .. I'm no expert, and don't pretend to be--neither are many others = fact!!! Partly explains why accidents happen on an mway I guess.

. You get some right knob ends --you are not a racer -you are balling about and who's impressed with their 'cough' skill ---literally laughable the way some knobs reckon they can ride...so many end up being cremated or cripped it makes me wince knowing these 'exspurts' are likely to be next.

Whip them !!!!

Have a nice day
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

9. Re: Motorway riding 
    i'm gonna give it a go as soon as i can work out how to fit my bike inside a Zorb ball and i'll be sorted :P
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

10. Re: Motorway riding 
    Reading this topic makes me think maybe it should become part of the TEST (motorway riding).