Notices

Thread: Motorway riding

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Motorway riding 
    Banned
    I hate middle lane hoggers >

2. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    Watch out for silly sods who open their passenger doors in standing traffic, oh how i laughed.

3. Re: Motorway riding 
    I think just about everything was covered here. I sit in the middle of the lane if the lane is clear ahead of me, but sit to one side of my lane slightly if I'm following traffic. It's to keep myself visible in their door mirrors, but mainly so I've got an escape route, should everyone suddenly throw on the anchors in front. It can be particularly windy in places, especially when dealing with large vehicles. One thing not mentioned, is to keep double checking your speed when you leave the motorway. After a prolonged period of high speed riding, 30mph feels like walking pace.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    Watch out for silly sods who open their passenger doors in standing traffic, oh how i laughed.

And drivers opening their door when parked up !!!

:-/ :-X :-/ :-X :-/ :-X

5. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    Arghhh we don't have a slow and fast lane on our motorways its lanes 1, 2 and 3...sorry but it drives me mad that...feeling better already
    Totally agree Nikki. The speed limit on all three lanes is 70mph, so which is the slow lane?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=Nikki link=1332796573/17#17 date=1332869686]Arghhh we don't have a slow and fast lane on our motorways its lanes 1, 2 and 3...sorry but it drives me mad that...feeling better already
    the hard shoulder

Totally agree Nikki. The speed limit on all three lanes is 70mph, so which is the slow lane? [/quote]

7. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    All wrong, the bike lane is lane 2.5, it's quite narrow, so easier taken at speed.

8. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    Dan, if you want me to tag along with you, I'm more than happy to. We could do West Swindon to the next junction, see how it goes. I can go behind or in front. There really is nothing to it. I'm not here tomorrow, but should be back Suunday eve.

9. Re: Motorway riding 
    Theres a few of us (me included) that havent 'done' the motorway. Ive done a couple of slip roads onto dual carriageways which are pretty much the same (well the getting 'on' bit is anyway)

We are hoping to do a bit of practice before the Wales trip though....with a few of the more experienced riders as a bit of support.

10. Re: Motorway riding 
    I'm pretty comfortable on motorways now, I'm happy to help out too - ride in front or behind, whichever people need.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...