Notices

Thread: Motorway riding

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Motorway riding 
    I'm thinking of using the motorway for the first time, on my bike, and could do with some advice please

Anything to make the trip safer & smoother plus anything to watch out for?

Thanks
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: Motorway riding 
    Diamond Member
    I found the motorway sooooooooooooooooo boring I almost fell asleep on it...If you're concerned you could maybe start by going from one junction to another to get used to it. Sit on the slow lane if you need to. And don't worry too much about it, riding there is easier than thhrough town.

3. Re: Motorway riding 
    keep checking your mirrors, you need to pay attention to whats happening behind you more so on the motorway.
    just relax and enjoy the bordom. :

4. Re: Motorway riding 
    You need to be a bit more aware of other traffic keep a watch out for drivers changing lane without checking or indicating you could get lost in a blind spot.

Also give yourself a little bit more room everything happens a bit quicker on the motorway due to the higher speeds. Finally relax

5. Re: Motorway riding 
    all of the above really......also when changing lanes i tend to be a little more brisk with the throttle....as i can be hard to judge the speed of a car coming from behind.

dont make sharp lane changes make them smooth shoulder checks and more shoulder checks......then make your move.

when exiting on to slip road double check for cars cutting lanes up as they panic because there about to miss there junction (seen cars lock there brakes up and cross lanes smoking tyres just to make that junction.)

if you come to a round about at end of slip road be prepared for people in wrong lanes.

oh and watch your speed ;D the boredom can take over.

6. Re: Motorway riding 
    Banned
    Avoid the motorways if possible, far too boring

7. Re: Motorway riding 
    Platinum Member
    A good game to play is shut your eyes and count, see if you can get above 24, that's my record.

8. Re: Motorway riding 
    Ride in the middle of your lane, remember that the cars both ahead and behind are not looking for a motorcycle so take a look over your shoulder and indicate before changing lanes. Be visible, wear a hi-viz.

Keep plenty of space to the car in front, and relax. It's dull, but will get you there. Best plac to practice is between 15 and 16 on the M4. Nice short run between junctions.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Best plac to practice is between 15 and 16 on the M4. Nice short run between junctions.
    Riding between 18 and 19's reasonably short too. Plus you get to ride on all of the nice roads around Bath =)

I commute pretty frequently between Melksham and Bristol on the motorway, but my advice is the same as above; shoulder checks are absolute life savers on the motorway! Especially if the guy who was just behind you decides to try his luck and go for a cheeky overtake as you're indicating to change lane.

10. Re: Motorway riding 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    I'm thinking of using the motorway for the first time, on my bike, and could do with some advice please

Anything to make the trip safer & smoother plus anything to watch out for?

Thanks
    Stay alert and keep watching all around - as others have said it can be so boring on a motorway.

When you get bored/tired its easy to mis-judge speed, your own and others, and stopping distances.

I'm also careful to make sure I know whats going on behind especially when slowing down and if a line of traffic slows/stops. A rear end shunt wouldnt be fun on two wheels.

Also make sure you keep a look out for, and can see any rubbish/pot holes - not fun at motorway speeds.

I'd aim for a first motorway run when the traffic is a bit quieter.