Notices

Thread: Puncture repair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Puncture repair 

Just pulled out a nail from my rear tyre, has 300 miles on it, anyone recommend somewhere reputable to get it plugged.

2. Re: Puncture repair 
    Cant you get a kit and do it yourself ? plenty of the plug and go type around, also depends where on the tyre the nail is, as if its close to the edge, many places wont touch it. cheers wes

3. Re: Puncture repair 
    Platinum Member
    What type of tyre is it?
    Have you checked it's repairable.

Not all tyres can be repaired, but you are doing the right thing going somewhere repurtable.

When I had a puncture I called Rob Jones because he could come to me and he's reputable and trustworthy, however he wouldn't repair my tyre but did a replacement. This is certainly not to make money, becuase places potentially lose money by refusing to do work.

http://www.rjracing.co.uk/

So be aware that depending on the tyre it might not be wise to repair it.

There is another school of thought from people who think that's far too risk averse, but at the end of the day it's your safety so you have to make your own mind up.

My personal experience is that places have become alot more risk averse e.g. JHS in Keysham wanted me to sign a disclaimer and Rob Jones wouldn't repair.

4. Re: Puncture repair 
    I've had a mushroom repair fitted to another rear tyre in the past (ironically, same make and model, 190/50-17 73W ZR Avon Storm-2), but was away from home. I know it can be fixed and will be as good as was before the incident.

Why are new rear tyres like nail magnets?

5. Re: Puncture repair 
    Platinum Member
    I know it can be fixed and will be as good as was before the incident.
    You might know that, but it doesn't mean a reputable garage will do it for you at all or without a disclaimer.

I had one fixed in 2010 and JHS said "ride it like you stole it". Had the same in 2012 and they wanted a disclaimer. I sometimes ride above 75 mph so I declined.

A lot of Z rated tyres are not repairable according to the manufacturers (I believe Michelin are the exception).
    If you really did mean you wanted a reputable garage then you should expect reputable advice from them.

6. Re: Puncture repair 
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_daddy
    I've had a mushroom repair fitted to another rear tyre in the past (ironically, same make and model, 190/50-17 73W ZR Avon Storm-2), but was away from home. I know it can be fixed and will be as good as was before the incident.

I know it sucks! Picked up my BN bike from blade, rode it 320 Miles down to St Ives and boom... self tapping screw worked its way into my tyre
    '12 NC700X

7. Re: Puncture repair 
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_daddy

I'm fairly certain Avon still offer free replacements for fairly new tyres which suffer a puncture - here's some info if you've not come across it before

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Avo...C_Warranty.pdf

8. Re: Puncture repair 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=evil_daddy link=1344779249/3#3 date=1344946878]I've had a mushroom repair fitted to another rear tyre in the past (ironically, same make and model, 190/50-17 73W ZR Avon Storm-2), but was away from home. I know it can be fixed and will be as good as was before the incident.

I'm fairly certain Avon still offer free replacements for fairly new tyres which suffer a puncture - here's some info if you've not come across it before

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Avo...C_Warranty.pdf[/quote]

I thought they had stopped doing this, but I was wrong, as I found out yesterday when I called Melksham tyres - very nice man called James - pick up a new tyre fitted later today.

9. Re: Puncture repair 
    Platinum Member
    There is a very wide range of opinion on the matter.
    But glad you got it sorted.

10. Re: Puncture repair 
    Diamond Member
    I think its worth adding that low tyre pressures can increase the liklihood of getting a puncture and its always good to regularly check your tyres for embedded objects. Sometimes you can have a screw or nail in the tyre but it hasn't punctured -in time though it will as the tyre gets used and pushes it further into the carcass.

So, keep your pressures where they should be and check the tyres regularly