Notices

Thread: Older non licence riders

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Older non licence riders 
    If you need confirmation still, Silly Simon is right. If he passed his car test prior to Feb 2001, he automatically got a category P (moped) licence as well. Moped is defined as being up to 50cc, with a maximum design speed not exceeding 30mph. To ride a 125cc bike, they must complete a CBT which is then valid for two years.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Even with the new rules next January?

3. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Yep, no change there. The changes only affect the size of bike and age of candidate who is taking their test. CBT will remain the same. :P
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Older non licence riders 
    My licence was issued in '78 and is the original paper type. I have considered replacing with the new type but have refrained due to the stories of "motorcycle" being ommited on the replacement document.
    Its kinda nice hanging on to the 'olde' type too.
    All the codes on it are a bit confusing as well!

5. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Banned
    Cheaper to keep the old one as well. The make you update the new ones every 10 years and pay for the privilege >

6. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackandchrome
    My licence was issued in '78 and is the original paper type. I have considered replacing with the new type but have refrained due to the stories of "motorcycle" being ommited on the replacement document.
    I have the same, issue year as well. However, I will at some point have to get mine changed for a new address and have heard the same issues in the past concerning the motorcycle entitlement disappearing. I think I will get some sort of legalised copy of the original made before I send it off just in case. It will be a shame - its nice to have the old paper version.

7. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Blackandchrome link=1346598316/13#13 date=1346759463]My licence was issued in '78 and is the original paper type. I have considered replacing with the new type but have refrained due to the stories of "motorcycle" being ommited on the replacement document.
    I have the same, issue year as well. However, I will at some point have to get mine changed for a new address and have heard the same issues in the past concerning the motorcycle entitlement disappearing. I think I will get some sort of legalised copy of the original made before I send it off just in case. It will be a shame - its nice to have the old paper version.[/quote]

Mine was a paper licence from 1974 !!.. Recently sent it off to get LGV Class 2 provisional put on it. Before sending it off, I phoned DVLA, as I had also heard of bike entitlements disappearing when the photo licence issued.

DVLA told me that if your full bike entitlement is on their system under your driving licence number, then there is no fear of the entitlement being omitted from the new photo licence, as they issue new licences from the classes noted on their system for your licence number.

Mine came back and sure enough my full bike entitlement from 1991 was shown.

So phone DVLA first to check that you bike entitlement is on their system and then all should be fine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Ducati Diavel Dark

8. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks ..Ade. I have just called DVLA and after a bit of a shock when told I had a restricted licence they relented after 10 minutes of keeping me on hold that I did indeed hold a full Cat A licence. Its nice to also be able to drive a 7.5 tonner and a mini bus carrying up to 16 persons After that I'm still not sure I trust them so might go for "I have lost my licence" trick and keep the old one just in case.

9. Re: Older non licence riders 
    would your Beemer move if you restricted it?

i renewed my photo and my A2 entitlement was missing even though it was a photocard that was being updated, quarter of an hour on the phone and a new one was issued, will always check first now before renewing as it can be a pain otherwise.

if you report the licence as lost your'll have to replace it and if the new one turns up without the bike entitlement you may find yourself stuck when they update your records? :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

10. Re: Older non licence riders 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    would your Beemer move if you restricted it?

:-/
    Now that is an interesting question although I have heard there is a restriction kit available for the 1200GS so there are people around who do it. Can't say I would like to ride the 285Kg Bavarian Battleship with only 33bhp or whatever is the limit! ;D