Notices

Thread: Clutch plate issue??

1. Clutch plate issue?? 
    Hi all,

Well, things just seem to be getting worse for me!

I bought an xvs 250 3 weeks ago and nothing but problems. My exhaust has gone but now the clutch plates.

I dont have the money to keep spending! The bike and insurance came to £2000!

Does anyone know roughtly how much the clutch plates cost to repair?

Phil in Westbury is doing my exhaust but obviously need the clutch doing as well. However, I might not be able to afford a hefty bill so, need some ideas.

Is anyone had any idea on the costings for a new clutch plates (including the labour charge) please let me know.

I cant go anywhere really annoyed I was sold a duff!

Thanks all

Maz

2. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    According to bitzforbikes.co.uk an XVS250 dragstar clutch set is £38.76. Now trade will probably get it cheaper but that is a starter. As to labour I'd guess a mechanic is £40 per hour??? that'll take the best part of an hour at a guess.

Is the clutch slipping??? If not I'd leave it for the time being.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    No, its not slipping.

I have problems with the rpm. Its like the engines rpm isnt matching the speed and its so slow then at about 50mpg the bike catches up and actually goes!

Yes, Phil charges £40 ph.

I thought it was the exhaust problem as I have a big hole but its not. Its defo the clutch, the biting part of the clutch is nearly all the way out, I hardly need to touch it for it to move and the same with the changing of the gear.

Thanks Jon!

4. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    Platinum Member
    So it just needs adjusting then. First port of call is get yourself a Haynes manual, it has all the adjusting procedure in there.

However, personally i would ship it back to the dealer and get consumer direct involved if he's being a twat.

5. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    Diamond Member
    Assuming its a cable operated clutch, have you got any play at the clutch lever? You should have some play as this ensures the clutch is completely disengaged. There might be adjusters at either the lever end of the cable, at the clutch itself or both. If you have an adjuster at the lever (look for a knurled ring and locknut) its worth loosening that off to get some play and then see if the clutch still slips. If it does, then if it has an adjuster externally on the clutch you will need to know how to set that up but in the short term just loosen it up a little. There will be online sites you can get some of these questions answered also.

6. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    Thanks snowy,

I have little play but its better than none. It only needs the slightest of touches.

7. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    I'd agree that the cable may need adjusting, another thought is it might not have wet clutch compatible engine oil so an oil change might help

8. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    I would advise You to pop the clutch plates out, clean them all, shuffle them and put back in, but change the oil, BUT replace it with a semi synthetic NOT fully synthetic oil!!

9. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenf9
    I would advise You to pop the clutch plates out, clean them all, shuffle them and put back in, but change the oil, BUT replace it with a semi synthetic NOT fully synthetic oil!!

I would advise you DO NOT do this, some bikes have different thickness plates in order.

10. Re: Clutch plate issue?? 
    I'd try adjusting it first. Sounds like the plates have worn a bit. There should be a bycicle style adjuster by the lever. Wind it in a turn.

The issue could just be that the bike needs using a bit. I still don't mind looking if you like.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"