Notices

Thread: torque settings for brake calipers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. torque settings for brake calipers 
    Hi All,

I want to pop my brake calipers off for a clean and tidy before it's service on Saturday, are there torque settings for brake caliper generally the same or do they vary from bike to bike?

I can't get hold of a Haynes manual yet for the NC700X and it's not listen in the owners manual either

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Ash

'12 NC700X

2. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Diamond Member
    Do you mean the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks or the bolts that split the caliper?

I would think they vary - they do between my two bikes and they are the same manufacturer. I'm assuming you mean the caliper to fork bolts - I have one bike which is 22nm and the other is 33nm to give you an idea. I never mess with brakes so its worth knowing the correct torque but if you coat the bolts in copperslip or similar its worth noting that will affect your torque values.

3. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    don't me to sound dumb but you want to 'clean' them before a service? surely they get done at the service? mine always have been done as part of the service.
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Platinum Member
    How many miles service?

5. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    What size bolt and bolting into what material? I can look up the torque from tables.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    Do you mean the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks or the bolts that split the caliper?

I would think they vary - they do between my two bikes and they are the same manufacturer. I'm assuming you mean the caliper to fork bolts - I have one bike which is 22nm and the other is 33nm to give you an idea. I never mess with brakes so its worth knowing the correct torque but if you coat the bolts in copperslip or similar its worth noting that will affect your torque values.
    Hi Snowy, yes the bolts from caliper to fork, sorry I should have been more clear.

Dan, I've never had mine cleaned during a regular service?

Mitch 8,000 mile service. It so so much how many miles, it's just I ride a lot and in all weather so they get clogged with crap I want to keep the pistons clean so they don't stick - Had it on the last bike.

I'll ask Honda when it goes in today for it's service, as I ride a lot, as you'll know, I'll need to start cleaning the calipers when the bad salty weather hits our roads.
    '12 NC700X

7. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    What size bolt and bolting into what material? I can look up the torque from tables.
    Jon,

I'm not sure off hand, at work atm but I'll have a gander later, thanks!
    '12 NC700X

8. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Can you remember the head size?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    Quote Originally Posted by Advrider
    I can't get hold of a Haynes manual yet for the NC700X and it's not listen in the owners manual either
    Haynes won't do one yet, the model is far to new. As for the owners manual, I presume you mean the booklet they gave you with the bike that has no useful information in it? What you need is the Honda Workshop manual. It should be available as an orderable part but remember to take a seat before you ask for the price.

10. Re: torque settings for brake calipers 
    depends what garage you go to then i guess, mine get stripped/cleaned/regreased etc on the service
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....