Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    18. Braking. Who still uses their rear brake as their main brake? Believe it or not, a lot of people still do. The rear brake is great for slow speed riding, as it eliminates front end dive, allowing you to keep your balance when stopping or riding slowly. But at higher speeds, the very fact that the weight shifts onto the front tyre, means that the front brake is the main brake. By having the weight transfer onto the front tyre, the tyre 'digs in' and gives you more grip, which in turn allows you to squeeze more front brake. The more you squeeze, the more weight transfers, allowing you to squeeze more. Braking should always be a 'squeeze', not a snatch. The snatch can cause a wheel to lock very easily, because the front tyre and suspension are overwhelmed suddenly, causing a 'rebound' affect. So, keep the front brake for proper braking from any kind of speed, and rear just for low speeds (sub 20mph).
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Banned
    I use the front as my main brake. My Hondas braking system is linked in that when I hit the back brake one of the front discs is also used. Probably the case on most modern bikes??

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    ...My Hondas braking system is linked in that when I hit the back brake one of the front discs is also used. Probably the case on most modern bikes??
    Nope, only a few Hondas have linked brakes, fortunately....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    [quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/81#81 date=1333797575]...My Hondas braking system is linked in that when I hit the back brake one of the front discs is also used. Probably the case on most modern bikes??
    [/quote]

Mine are linked when using the front brake but when using the rear its on its own. Only really use the rear on its own when cornering or slow manoevering.

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    [quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/81#81 date=1333797575]...My Hondas braking system is linked in that when I hit the back brake one of the front discs is also used. Probably the case on most modern bikes??
    [/quote]
    Is it a bad thing???

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    [quote author=Scotty link=1325883254/82#82 date=1333804443][quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/81#81 date=1333797575]...My Hondas braking system is linked in that when I hit the back brake one of the front discs is also used. Probably the case on most modern bikes??
    [/quote]
    Is it a bad thing???[/quote]

I think so. I like to be able to use my brakes independently. As mentioned, a little rear can be useful to control speed in a corner or on a roundabout. I don't want my front coming on at the same time.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    brakeing with the front is a life saver, ive had to do this and thanks to Mr Ables training has paid off in one of those moments.
    However the guy on the bike behind me used his rear went sideways and hit the car. ;D he was ok,,,,luckly.

A true testimony of the brake and swerve Maneuver on the test, so cheers Mark
    What seemed to be a usless and waste of time piece of the test really did help.

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Thought it was swerve then brake??? Am i doing it wrong ? :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    Thought it was swerve then brake??? Am i doing it wrong ? :-/
    nope

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    and I definitely learned the hard way not to brake while swerving. glad the examiner only gave me a minor for that one :