Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdxgsxmt
    [quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/36#36 date=1329731086]When on the bike I just consider all car drivers as idiots that are not to be trusted
    wow, lucky car drivers don't stereotype bike riders at all [/quote]
    Its not stereotyping its trying to stay alive :] by considering every car drive a complete moron, you take far less for granted, i.e "Oh he's seen me" i've had it happen on innumerable occasions where a car driver has looked my directly in the eye, and pulled out regardless.

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=kdxgsxmt link=1325883254/37#37 date=1329742733][quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/36#36 date=1329731086]When on the bike I just consider all car drivers as idiots that are not to be trusted
    Its not stereotyping its trying to stay alive :] by considering every car drive a complete moron, you take far less for granted, i.e "Oh he's seen me" i've had it happen on innumerable occasions where a car driver has looked my directly in the eye, and pulled out regardless. [/quote]

Exactly, staying alive is part of my plan. If it means tarring all drivers with the idiot brush then so be it

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    8. Instead of an expensive disc lock, take a trip to B&Q and get a good quality padlock. Make sure it fits through the holes in your disc. It'll save you quite a few spondulicks...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    [quote author=NoYou link=1325883254/40#40 date=1329842624][quote author=kdxgsxmt link=1325883254/37#37 date=1329742733][quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/36#36 date=1329731086]When on the bike I just consider all car drivers as idiots that are not to be trusted
    Its not stereotyping its trying to stay alive :] by considering every car drive a complete moron, you take far less for granted, i.e "Oh he's seen me" i've had it happen on innumerable occasions where a car driver has looked my directly in the eye, and pulled out regardless. [/quote]

Exactly, staying alive is part of my plan. If it means tarring all drivers with the idiot brush then so be it
    [/quote]
    fairy 'nuff - guess it was the car driving me that would prefer to have my behaviour 'pre-empted' as idiotic rather me as an idiot - is it that obvious that I drive a Volvo :-[

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdxgsxmt
    [quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/41#41 date=1329850457][quote author=NoYou link=1325883254/40#40 date=1329842624][quote author=kdxgsxmt link=1325883254/37#37 date=1329742733][quote author=Swanny link=1325883254/36#36 date=1329731086]When on the bike I just consider all car drivers as idiots that are not to be trusted

[/quote]
    fairy 'nuff - guess it was the car driving me that would prefer to have my behaviour 'pre-empted' as idiotic rather me as an idiot - is it that obvious that I drive a Volvo :-[[/quote]
    I'm not saying all car drivers ARE morons, but by treating them all like morons you tend to stay alive longer xD

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    I think most of us on here drive cars, vans, lorries, buses..etc & in my opinion bikers make the better drivers as we are all to aware of the risks.

It's nice to get appreciated also when you give them room to pass. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    9. New tyres. They're as slippery as you like, when you first stick new boots on your steed. It's a waxy coating they use to drop the tyres out the mould at the factory. It normally takes between 50 and 100 miles to get them bedded in, depending on your riding style. However, with a bit of brave weaving, I've found you can get pretty close to the edge of the tyre, and get them bedded in much quicker. But be careful...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    "The edge of the tyre"" wtf is that?? ;D ;D ;D

chicken strips R us!!! lol ;D ;D
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    10. Where do you sit? Where you sit on the bike can dramatically effect where the weight is being placed on the bike. The most common mistake we see is someone sitting too far back in the seat. I sit right up against the tank, placing my weight directly between the wheels. That way, the only way I can transfer weight form front to rear and vice versa, is by braking or accelerating. If you sit way back, you are taking weight off the front, and artificially putting more weight over the rear. This could make the front wheel become extremely light under acceleration, or even in normal riding.

Many years ago, one of our ex-pupils had a nasty accident coming down the 'ski slope' in Frome. There used to be a nasty bump at the bottom, that could upset even the best of riders. Our man had a habit of sitting too far back in the seat, consequently causing the front wheel to skip into the air over this bump, landing into a 'tank slapper'. The loss of control took him across the road into the armco. Although we had tried to correct his riding style, it took this accident to make him realise. It may seem a small thing, but it can make a big difference.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    10. Where do you sit? Where you sit on the bike can dramatically effect where the weight is being placed on the bike. The most common mistake we see is someone sitting too far back in the seat. I sit right up against the tank, placing my weight directly between the wheels. That way, the only way I can transfer weight form front to rear and vice versa, is by braking or accelerating. If you sit way back, you are taking weight off the front, and artificially putting more weight over the rear. This could make the front wheel become extremely light under acceleration, or even in normal riding.

Many years ago, one of our ex-pupils had a nasty accident coming down the 'ski slope' in Frome. There used to be a nasty bump at the bottom, that could upset even the best of riders. Our man had a habit of sitting too far back in the seat, consequently causing the front wheel to skip into the air over this bump, landing into a 'tank slapper'. The loss of control took him across the road into the armco. Although we had tried to correct his riding style, it took this accident to make him realise. It may seem a small thing, but it can make a big difference.
    A very good tip that only the other day when I took my bike out that I have changed to street fighter, did I realise just how much difference where you park your bum makes.......it was a moment,lol
    lesson learned the hard way lol