Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellybambam
    "* A bimbler is one who drives their car once a week at a constant speed of 37mph, whether they are in town or on open A/B roads. They rarely have accidents, but have witnessed hundreds... "

100%
    +1 have just had 1st hand experience of that !!!

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    What are the ones that constantly do 40-45 in a 30, then stay there in the nationals called? Plenty of them around too!

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pluggedinpete
    What are the ones that constantly do 40-45 in a 30, then stay there in the nationals called? Plenty of them around too!
    Twats!

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabb
    [quote author=pluggedinpete link=1325883254/201#201 date=1340318818]What are the ones that constantly do 40-45 in a 30, then stay there in the nationals called? Plenty of them around too!
    Twats![/quote]

Correct!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    27. Brake lights. Brakes aren't just for braking, they are also for activating your brake light. I like to flow between bends on a country lane, just rolling the throttle on and off to control my speed. It means you need to be good at judging your bends, but it also makes for smoother and more relaxed ride. It's only when I start pushing on, that I feel the need to brake before entering a bend. However, rolling on and off the throttle doesn't activate the brake light, which if you have someone following, would be useful for their information. Bearing in mind cars don't slow as quickly as bikes when they're off the gas, sudden rolling off of the throttle may catch a car driver out. So it may be useful to touch the brakes (even if you're not really applying them) just to show the driver following, that you're slowing down. I may touch the brakes early when I want the driver behind to pay attention, like when approaching an unexpected hazard or stationary queue of traffic. Particularly at higher speeds, showing a brake light early may be enough to prevent 'panic' braking by the driver behind, which could lead to an accident or pile up. I also try to slow a driver down gradually when approaching a pedestrian crossing in town, or some other hazard.

So next time you're up and down with your speed, have a look in your mirrors first, then decide how you're going to slow down.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    read threw a few tips, and some really helped some Questiosn i had thanks!

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    28. Getting tired and uncomfortable? Aching wrists? Pains in the shoulders/back? Elbow ache? Hands aching? You need Anadin... No wait a minute. You need to relax. Most aches and pains are not caused by an uncomfortable bike. Tingling fingers is not normally because your bike vibrates too much (although we'll discount Harleys). Most aches and pains, and general discomfort is caused by you holding onto the bars too tight. If your wrists are aching on your sports bike, it's because you've gotten lazy, and you're leaning on your wrists. Experiment: try sitting on your sports bike on it's main stand or paddock stand. Sit in your normal riding position, holding the handlebars. Now try keeping your body in the same position as you let go of the bars. You should be able to keep your body in the same position if you grip the tank with your knees, and use some of your back and leg muscles to retain your posture. Now you can see, you don't need to lean on your wrists. What about holding the bars too tight? Now you've mastered keeping your body position, try doing a similar thing at speed. Don't completely let go of the bars, but loosen your grip to the point where you're hardly holding on. The bike still goes in a straight line, so don't think you have to be steering it in a straight line. There are many points on the bike that can take some of the strain. A light grip on the bars, coupled with a little pressure on the tank with your knees, and maybe a little pressure through the footpegs (trying to take some of the weight off your backside), are all ways of reducing fatigue.

Incidentally, I used to suffer pains between my shoulders when riding my old VFR750. It's meant to be a comfortable bike, or so I thought. Then I realised, it was me holding the bars too tight. Once rectified, an uncomfortable ride lasting less than an hour, could easily be extended to two and a half hours non-stop riding, with no discomfort.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    1. If you can't afford waterproof boots or gloves, try carrier bags on your feet before putting your boots on, and diesel gloves from petrol stations before putting your gloves on...

Another tip next week.
    Have been using this trick in a similar way for years except I put my whole boot in the bag and tape the top. If the boots are not waterproof - don't get them wet in the first place.
    I also take bin liners and sticky tape when I go to rallies.
    If its raining on the way home I put the saddle bags in the bin liners and tape the outside. You keep your contents and the luggage bags dry'ish

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    28. Getting tired and uncomfortable? Aching wrists? Pains in the shoulders/back? Elbow ache? Hands aching? You need Anadin... No wait a minute. You need to relax. Most aches and pains are not caused by an uncomfortable bike. Tingling fingers is not normally because your bike vibrates too much (although we'll discount Harleys). Most aches and pains, and general discomfort is caused by you holding onto the bars too tight. If your wrists are aching on your sports bike, it's because you've gotten lazy, and you're leaning on your wrists. Experiment: try sitting on your sports bike on it's main stand or paddock stand. Sit in your normal riding position, holding the handlebars. Now try keeping your body in the same position as you let go of the bars. You should be able to keep your body in the same position if you grip the tank with your knees, and use some of your back and leg muscles to retain your posture. Now you can see, you don't need to lean on your wrists. What about holding the bars too tight? Now you've mastered keeping your body position, try doing a similar thing at speed. Don't completely let go of the bars, but loosen your grip to the point where you're hardly holding on. The bike still goes in a straight line, so don't think you have to be steering it in a straight line. There are many points on the bike that can take some of the strain. A light grip on the bars, coupled with a little pressure on the tank with your knees, and maybe a little pressure through the footpegs (trying to take some of the weight off your backside), are all ways of reducing fatigue.

Incidentally, I used to suffer pains between my shoulders when riding my old VFR750. It's meant to be a comfortable bike, or so I thought. Then I realised, it was me holding the bars too tight. Once rectified, an uncomfortable ride lasting less than an hour, could easily be extended to two and a half hours non-stop riding, with no discomfort.
    I'm guilty of this sometimes. I've got my tingly pinkies sussed now, just need a bit more padding on my arse and I'll be sorted ;D

Good advice, Mr A, as usual :-*
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie
    [quote author=Mark_Able link=1325883254/206#206 date=1343161009]28. Getting tired and uncomfortable? Aching wrists? Pains in the shoulders/back? Elbow ache? Hands aching? You need Anadin... No wait a minute. You need to relax. Most aches and pains are not caused by an uncomfortable bike. Tingling fingers is not normally because your bike vibrates too much (although we'll discount Harleys). Most aches and pains, and general discomfort is caused by you holding onto the bars too tight. If your wrists are aching on your sports bike, it's because you've gotten lazy, and you're leaning on your wrists. Experiment: try sitting on your sports bike on it's main stand or paddock stand. Sit in your normal riding position, holding the handlebars. Now try keeping your body in the same position as you let go of the bars. You should be able to keep your body in the same position if you grip the tank with your knees, and use some of your back and leg muscles to retain your posture. Now you can see, you don't need to lean on your wrists. What about holding the bars too tight? Now you've mastered keeping your body position, try doing a similar thing at speed. Don't completely let go of the bars, but loosen your grip to the point where you're hardly holding on. The bike still goes in a straight line, so don't think you have to be steering it in a straight line. There are many points on the bike that can take some of the strain. A light grip on the bars, coupled with a little pressure on the tank with your knees, and maybe a little pressure through the footpegs (trying to take some of the weight off your backside), are all ways of reducing fatigue.

I'm guilty of this sometimes. I've got my tingly pinkies sussed now, just need a bit more padding on my arse and I'll be sorted ;D

Good advice, Mr A, as usual :-*[/quote]

More padding? You're not fooling anyone... ;D
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk