Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    :

Slow U turns
    theres fast U-turns?? ;D wouldn't even try that,

cheers for the comments guys
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Sometimes free advice can be worth more than nothing. So called experts don't always get it right.

Thousands of hours of motorcycling experience on here. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Don’t forget Noah’s Ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals. :P
    That's if you believe in Noah's Ark. And Titanic didn't sink itself, it was the icebergs fault ;D ;D

Being serious, I think the problem is how do you decide whether advice is good or bad, if you don't know enough to have asked the question in the first place? That's why I do think it important to make your own due digilence in these matters, take advice carefully and act upon it only if you're sure and/or are willing to accept the consequences.

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=monday21 link=1325883254/119#119 date=1334841376]Sometimes free advice can be worth more than nothing. So called experts don't always get it right.

Don’t forget Noah’s Ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals. :P
    That's if you believe in Noah's Ark. And Titanic didn't sink itself, it was the icebergs fault ;D ;D

Being serious, I think the problem is how do you decide whether advice is good or bad, if you don't know enough to have asked the question in the first place? That's why I do think it important to make your own due digilence in these matters, take advice carefully and act upon it only if you're sure and/or are willing to accept the consequences.[/quote]

Graeme, I’ll concede that Noah’s Ark is probably a myth, but the sinking of the Titanic wasn’t the iceberg’s fault – it was the Captain’s, for not avoiding it. ;D :P

With nearly a century of motorcycling under our combined belts, we must be doing summit right.

Of course you are right, sometimes it's very difficult to sift the bad advice from the good. Unfortunately, most of us learn through our own mistakes.

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1325883254/118#118 date=1334838570]:

Slow U turns
    theres fast U-turns?? ;D wouldn't even try that,

cheers for the comments guys[/quote]

I think that's what they call moto gymkhana?

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1325883254/121#121 date=1334847545][quote author=monday21 link=1325883254/119#119 date=1334841376]Sometimes free advice can be worth more than nothing. So called experts don't always get it right.

Being serious, I think the problem is how do you decide whether advice is good or bad, if you don't know enough to have asked the question in the first place? That's why I do think it important to make your own due digilence in these matters, take advice carefully and act upon it only if you're sure and/or are willing to accept the consequences.[/quote]

Graeme, I’ll concede that Noah’s Ark is probably a myth, but the sinking of the Titanic wasn’t the iceberg’s fault – it was the Captain’s, for not avoiding it. ;D :P

With nearly a century of motorcycling under our combined belts, we must be doing summit right.

Of course you are right, sometimes it's very difficult to sift the bad advice from the good. Unfortunately, most of us learn through our own mistakes.
    [/quote]

By my reckoning then Ken, that makes you 82 years old ;D

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Thought that one might smoke you out. Lol ;D

Well let's say a long time then. ;D

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    When I first joined this forum, I felt that there were those who gave their advice, without being in a knowledgeable enough position to do so. Some of the advice was not only unconstructive, but sometimes borderline dangerous. I don't pretend to know everything, but my career has been built around trying to improve myself and my own riding, so that I may pass the knowledge on to others. I've been riding 31 years now (about time I stopped for fuel), been instructing for 18 years, have done race schools, track days, club racing, track tuition, advanced riding courses, DSA instructor courses, Police training, and have done all the hooligan things (on private land) like wheelies, stoppies, knee-down, side saddle, riding backwards, donuts, blah, blah, etc. Each thing I've been involved with has made me a better rider, because I've approached with the attitude of improving my own riding. I'll never be the best rider in the world, but I'll keep trying.

Along the way, I've had many people try to impress me with their riding skills (quite often crap), and their knowledge (not always the best). They too, may have the best intentions, but I feel you're only placed to give advice when your full time job/career/hobby is all about finding the best way to ride a bike. Every time someone has told me 'the best way' of doing something, I've analized it from every angle before making up my own mind as to whether it really is the best way. I don't want to come across as big headed or preachy, I just know the right way to do things.

This thread was started with the intention of passing on as much knowledge as I can. I hope it's taken in the context. And if anyone has differing opinions, I'll be happy to hear them, as long they're happy to hear my repost.

Let's make biking fun and safe...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    20. Where are you looking? If it's not where the corner is going, you're not going round the corner. The biggest factor as a novice rider is 'where you're looking'. You should be looking at the 'vanishing point' or the path that leads you there. If you imagine a line or path that leads you to the vanishing point, then you will follow that path. If you look at the white line, you'll drift towards the line. If you look at the kerb, you'll drift towards the kerb. If you look at that dead badger, you'll run over the dead badger... Where you look, is where you go. However, it's one of our 'panic reactions' to look where you 'think' you're going to go, as opposed to where you 'want' to go. Force yourself to look at the vanishing point, even when things are going wrong in the bend. You've got a good chance you'll still make the corner. These days, I spend very little time looking at the road surface in front of my front wheel. Normally if you see something coming up by then, it's too late anyway. You need to spot hazards early, to be able to do something about them. The later you spot them, the more violent the evasive reaction has to be, and the less chance you've got of avoiding it. And when you look into a bend, do it with your head, as well as your eyes. Pointing your eyes in the right direction is important, but equally pointing your head in the same direction is just as important. In fact, why not try over-doing it to begin with. Really point your head into a corner, and it'll seem so easy to get around that bend, compared with entering a bend with your head in the straight-ahead position.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I wasn't looking at that doggy do-do's when I landed in it when practicing u-turns Mark...I couldnt even see it hehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

p.s. re your comment ;
    Along the way, I've had many people try to impress me with their riding skills (quite often crap),

I bet I impressed you with the above didnt I hehehe

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Counter-steering is next... 8-)
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk