Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Some good tips here from Able... 8-)

Picked up some of these myself through riding for 20 plus years, and some had to be shown me by IAM and ROSPA.

The vanishing point one I had to be taught, and was amazed. Its such a brilliant way of getting the right speed for any corner:

If the vanishing point is constant you are at the correct speed (all other things being equal)

If its coming towards you you, the bend is tightening up and you need to slow or turn

If the VP is receeding then the bend is opening out and you need to get on the throttle and level up...

So simple, yet it really works. Given that many bike accidents are related to incorrect bend assessment its a lifesaver - yet I had never heard of it until three years ago. :-[

If I can add one tip of my own, I'd say the essence of good riding is (if possible) not to ask the machine to do more than one thing at a time....

For instance turning and braking at the same time, or accelerating and turning at the same time. The less complex the demands on the tyres the better the grip.

The only way to ride like this is to plan ahead and take control of the ride, rather than reacting to events.

One plan I always re-make every few seconds if needed is my escape route. If something pulls out or stops suddenly, my instinct is always to keep moving and go around rather than stop (or a combination of the two to give more stopping time and hence less load on the bike).

Smooth planned riding has helped me stay safe in the absence of truly sharp skills (which I most certainly lack). :-[

I'm going to try and do the IAM again this year (if they'll let me). You can never have enough training IMHO.

Oh and lights? I always fit extra ones - in as braod a spread as possible to make the vehicle look wider. Research shows we are also more likely as humans to pick up patterns based on curves, rather than lines, so I try to aim for a 'smile' of lights running accross the bike.

Dolores (AKA The Fat Lady) my Valkyrie, has 5 lights.

Rooter

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    15. Hanging off. A lot of folks like to hang off the bike and attempt the knee down riding style. It has it's uses, but to be honest, it's only really important when you run out of ground clearance. That means, if you have a habit of dragging your footpeg/exhaust/bellypan/etc, it's probably about time you tried hanging off. By hanging off the side of the bike, you're basically pushing the bike more upright, and as a consequence, reducing lean angle. The other advantage is you keep the bike on the fat part of the tyre, and can get your knee down. However, when you move your weight to one side of the bike, you need to do it without upsetting the steering, and before you start to turn. If you're already in the turn, you'll upset the bike by trying to shift your weight around. So as with braking and gear selection, your body weight should be shifted before you turn into the corner. I would normally start shifting my weight (using my legs to lift and lever myself over) while still travelling in a straight line, before I start braking and shifting down gears. Once I feel I'm in the correct body position for the turn, I'd start my braking and selecting the necessary gear for the turn. Pretty much as soon as I've completed braking, I shove the inside handlebar (counter-steer) to turn the bike into the corner. If I want to get my knee down, I'd stick it out in the breeze. If getting your knee down is your only goal, then just make sure you're hanging off far enough. Once you've settled into the turn, a little extra nudge on the inside bar is normally enough to get plastic in contact with tarmac. I've seen people get their knee down on a bike that was virtually upright, just by hanging way off.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Great thread and great tips, thanks Mark. Enjoying reading these
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    Great thread and great tips, thanks Mark. Enjoying reading these
    Ditto!

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    16. Squeeze with your knees. It's well known that a relaxed rider is a better rider. By being relaxed in your arms, it is less tiring on long journeys, and makes it easier to steer the bike. In fact, to get the best arm position, your forearms should be roughly parallel to the road surface, which in turn means bending your elbows. By having your arms flexed at the elbows, steering takes much less effort. And as an addition, your arms will also flex to help absorb bumps, helping your suspension. It is very difficult to steer a bike if your arms are locked at the elbows. So to get in this relaxed position, try making a conscious effort to hold onto the bike with your legs (squeezing the petrol tank), and relax your grip on the handlebars. The bike becomes more stable, and less twitchy. Your arms stop aching on long journeys. It's easy to steer. You feel more 'part of' the bike. Occasionally you may get the handlebars twitch around on uneven surfaces, but by being relaxed, the bike sorts itself out.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Banned
    I read in a bike mag, watch car wheels at a side junction as it's easier to see the wheel move before the car. May give you a split second warning that it's about to pull out in front of you.

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    I read in a bike mag, watch car wheels at a side junction as it's easier to see the wheel move before the car. May give you a split second warning that it's about to pull out in front of you.
    interesting Ive never seen one of those cars that the wheels move ......and then the car body...lol ill keep an eye out

only joking, eye contact I find is the best thing, and remembering that I am still moving and the traffic is still possible in front of me !!!! :-* :-*

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    At junctions it's a mix of moving wheels and eye contact.......I'd say the eye contact / head turned your way is crucial to staying alive!!

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    17. Earplugs. Some use them, some don't, some aren't aware of how useful they are. Firstly, inside the average helmet, wind noise at 70mph exceeds 100db. 30 seconds of that and you've already started damaging your hearing. Not only does it preserve your hearing, but it also makes long journeys a lot less tiring. To begin with, you probably won't like them. Try this:- get on a long dual carriageway/motorway and ride for several miles with earplugs in, stop at services and remove them, then rejoin the carriageway. I guarantee you'll stop at the next services and put them back in.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I've tried... but I absolutely hate anything in my ears when riding... drives me mad!!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'