Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    Thought it was swerve then brake??? Am i doing it wrong ? :-/
    and there was me thinking I had it in the bag and got away with a collision only to be told I did it all wrong . :
    for those of you that like to pick at any oppurtunity.
    I braked, saw a hole swerved and then when the bike was back in line and then braked and sqeazed some more
    I may of written it wrong but when the time came to do the %$^& I was ok

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by 8_ball
    [quote author=porkies link=1325883254/87#87 date=1333879496]Thought it was swerve then brake??? Am i doing it wrong ? :-/
    for those of you that like to pick at any oppurtunity.[/quote]

Wasn't picking at you 8ball :-? I just want to make sure i ride properly and if i am doing it wrong i want to know the right way.

Glad you managed to avoiding binning it, any escape is a good escape in my book [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    In real life, you do whatever it takes. Point being, it saved your bacon mate, and for that I'm pleased...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    19. Turning in too early? One of the most common causes of running wide in a corner is because you've turned into the corner too early. An early 'apex' (ask if you don't know what I'm talking about) will send you wide on the exit. Racers aim to apex at about the halfway point. Road riders should aim for a late apex. A late apex means you'll always make the corner, plus you retain your view around the bend. The reason many people apex too early is because they've not judged the bend correctly, quite often down to not using the 'vanishing point' (ask me if you don't know). Or they turn into the bend early, as they think that by hugging the corner, they'll make it round. So as an experiment, enter a bend you're familiar with, and leave the turn point as late as you possibly can (you'll either be heading towards the white line or the verge), but then turn quicker than you would do normally, aiming for a late apex. Don't be concerned about leaning too quickly, as it's not possible. You can lean as fast as you want (although it may feel scary at first). You will make the corner. It may not be wise to turn in early on purpose (unless you really know what you're doing), as you will go wide, causing you to throttle off (maybe brake as well), look in the wrong place, and freeze up. You won't make the corner.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    sounds complex? wasn't taught apex's when learning to ride. will give it a try on a dry day, will read up on how to 'spot' the apex.

these tips make great reading for a novice like me
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    i saw a bloke the other day...was folowing in car....he took the corner way to early......went a tad wide...obviosuly panicked.

he hit the brakes the bike sat bolt upright and he marginally missed the opposite hedge :-?

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I'm going to give this a try, as I do tend to run wide sometimes. I thought it was mis-judgement of speed, but not so sure.

Regards,
    Dan
    2008 Honda CBR125R.

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I've always used the vanishing point to gauge corner speed, all the (road) training I've had has said to take the long way round.
    On a right hander you'll be over by your side of the road verge, on left hander in the center, gives you better views of the road ahead.
    If a vanishing point is close and it slows you, as it moves away you can get on the gas

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by dstuchbury
    I'm going to give this a try, as I do tend to run wide sometimes. I thought it was mis-judgement of speed, but not so sure.

Regards,
    Dan
    Speed is rarely the issue. Most of the time, when you first start out riding, you dedicate most of your time trying to judge the right speed for a corner. These days, I get the speed about right, but then make the bike take the corner by getting the line and lean angle right. To do that, you have to be confident that you can lean as much or as little as you want (by counter steering), but also, you need to have a plan as to what line you're going to take.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_daddy
    I've always used the vanishing point to gauge corner speed, all the (road) training I've had has said to take the long way round.
    On a right hander you'll be over by your side of the road verge, on left hander in the center, gives you better views of the road ahead.
    If a vanishing point is close and it slows you, as it moves away you can get on the gas
    Exactly. The wide line for view, and for safety (so you're not leaning into on-coming traffic on right-handers). Effectively it's taking a very late apex.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk