Notices

Thread: Riding tip of the week.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Never use them myself but it does help if your helmet is only 85db inside and have great wind protection If you don't have that luxury then some form of protection is wise.

2. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I didn't used to use them but now hate riding without - I find I'm a lot less tired after a full day's riding if wearing earplugs.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Highly recommend ear plugs.
    I had a pair of Ultimate Ear "squigy" ear plug moulds taken at the NEC show a couple of years ago and within a couple of weeks the squidgies came through post together with the moulds (so replacements can be ordered if you lose a plug).

OK, they are a quite a bit more expensive than 50p foam ear plugs, BUT as a mould of your ears they are a perfect fit, very soft material and comfortable.

If you really want to push the boat out, they also do moulded plugs with micro speakers in.

They can come and take ear impressions where you are rather than having to go to their Kent premises !!!

http://www.ultimateear.com/product/squidgy.php
    Ducati Diavel Dark

4. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by python
    I've tried... but I absolutely hate anything in my ears when riding... drives me mad!!
    Same here. Drove me insane. Would rather be deaf.... saves listning to bull.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenson
    Highly recommend ear plugs.
    I had a pair of Ultimate Ear "squigy" ear plug moulds taken at the NEC show a couple of years ago and within a couple of weeks the squidgies came through post together with the moulds (so replacements can be ordered if you lose a plug).

OK, they are a quite a bit more expensive than 50p foam ear plugs, BUT as a mould of your ears they are a perfect fit, very soft material and comfortable.

If you really want to push the boat out, they also do moulded plugs with micro speakers in.

They can come and take ear impressions where you are rather than having to go to their Kent premises !!!

http://www.ultimateear.com/product/squidgy.php
    A cheaper option - although they aren't moulded to your ears - are Alpine Earplugs. I use the musicians ones as I originally bought them to go to concerts, but they do motorbike ones now too. I spent about £15 a few years ago and got three plugs and 3 sets of filters which cut out progressively more - I use a lower filter for my bikes and the highest for concerts.

http://alpineearplugs.com/
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

6. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I HATE riding without earplugs now and agree I find it a lot less tiring riding any distance.

It took me a while to find some that I like - they come in quite a few shapes and sizes and some were just damn painful.

I did notice when I first wore them its easier to go much faster without realising it than before - I guess having been used to a certain level of sound without previously.

7. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Never ride without them in.

8. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    have never ridden with any sort of ear protection over a 30 year period. I like the permanent ringing in my ears, it eases the pain of my wife's demands..........."what was that dear?" ;D

9. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=python link=1325883254/69#69 date=1333406344]I've tried... but I absolutely hate anything in my ears when riding... drives me mad!!
    Same here. Drove me insane. Would rather be deaf.... saves listning to bull..... [/quote]

Trust me you wouldn’t. Riding bikes for many years without ear protection was probably the biggest cause of my deafness. I feel isolated in most social situations – that is why I love to write because I’m on a level playing field with everyone else.

My excuse is that I was young and ignorant, but I wish I could turn back the clock.

Great thread Mark [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Riding tip of the week. 
    I always wear ear plugs for any journey over 5 miles