Some good tips here from Able... 8-)

Picked up some of these myself through riding for 20 plus years, and some had to be shown me by IAM and ROSPA.

The vanishing point one I had to be taught, and was amazed. Its such a brilliant way of getting the right speed for any corner:

If the vanishing point is constant you are at the correct speed (all other things being equal)

If its coming towards you you, the bend is tightening up and you need to slow or turn

If the VP is receeding then the bend is opening out and you need to get on the throttle and level up...

So simple, yet it really works. Given that many bike accidents are related to incorrect bend assessment its a lifesaver - yet I had never heard of it until three years ago. :-[

If I can add one tip of my own, I'd say the essence of good riding is (if possible) not to ask the machine to do more than one thing at a time....

For instance turning and braking at the same time, or accelerating and turning at the same time. The less complex the demands on the tyres the better the grip.

The only way to ride like this is to plan ahead and take control of the ride, rather than reacting to events.

One plan I always re-make every few seconds if needed is my escape route. If something pulls out or stops suddenly, my instinct is always to keep moving and go around rather than stop (or a combination of the two to give more stopping time and hence less load on the bike).

Smooth planned riding has helped me stay safe in the absence of truly sharp skills (which I most certainly lack). :-[

I'm going to try and do the IAM again this year (if they'll let me). You can never have enough training IMHO.

Oh and lights? I always fit extra ones - in as braod a spread as possible to make the vehicle look wider. Research shows we are also more likely as humans to pick up patterns based on curves, rather than lines, so I try to aim for a 'smile' of lights running accross the bike.

Dolores (AKA The Fat Lady) my Valkyrie, has 5 lights.

Rooter