Notices

Thread: Tyre pressures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Tyre pressures? 
    Diamond Member
    This may seem like a stupid question, but I’ve never given it much thought before - usually travel light.

Set-up all the oxford luggage, tent etc on the bike today in preparation for my forthcoming Scotland trip with Daddy Cool.

In the Fazer handbook there are 2 tyre settings - one for a pillion and one for solo riding. Well, in terms of additional weight to solo riding I estimate I’m carrying 25-30 kilos extra, less than half the weight of an average pillion. We will be riding on some demanding twisties through the Scottish mountains. Should I split the difference between the two tyre pressures stated?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ken

2. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    This may seem like a stupid question, but I’ve never given it much thought before - usually travel light.

Set-up all the oxford luggage, tent etc on the bike today in preparation for my forthcoming Scotland trip with Daddy Cool.

In the Fazer handbook there are 2 tyre settings - one for a pillion and one for solo riding. Well, in terms of additional weight to solo riding I estimate I’m carrying 25-30 kilos extra, less than half the weight of an average pillion. We will be riding on some demanding twisties through the Scottish mountains. Should I split the difference between the two tyre pressures stated?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ken
    36/42.....psi.....front/rear - I would guess is your pillion setting? I would I run with that when carrying gear.

3. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=monday21 link=1344186867/0#0 date=1344186867]This may seem like a stupid question, but I’ve never given it much thought before - usually travel light.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ken
    36/42.....psi.....front/rear - I would guess is your pillion setting? I would I run with that when carrying gear.
    [/quote]

Ye that sounds about right Graeme - will check book again on day. Cheers. I suppose I can always let a bit of air out if the handling doesn't feel right. Just thought full pillion pressure might be too much.

4. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    Diamond Member
    Will be fine 36/42 Ken - I usually leave it at that whatever weight I'm carrying and can't tell the difference usually.

5. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    I leave mine on solo settings for carrying luggage.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    I have had mine set as if I'm carrying a pillion for the last five years. If I'm on it on my own I'm about 300lb so good job when my wife is on the back as well she is quite small/light.

7. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    camera.op76
    Always a good idea, hadm 6PSi in the rear, and 11PSi in the front - no wonder it cornered like I was riding a toaster!

8. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    I ride the XJ6 with pillion pressures because I am usually carrying loads of kit about on it.

Stuntsunlimited: You bad man!
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

9. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    ;D ;D ;D Stupid question from you Ken? : : & Travel Light ;D ;D ;D

10. Re: Tyre pressures? 
    ****, I really should check mine sometime :-?
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”