Notices

Thread: Water in petrol??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    Guys & gals.
    I've done about 750 miles this week in our wonderful wet/foggy (delete as appropriate) weather.
    I had to fill up 4 times with petrol (all from the same station)
    Yesterday I filled up with petrol for a trip down to Poole and I had a misfire for a few miles - not immediately but after about 20 minutes of riding.
    I had to fill up again Today - same problem on the way to Salisbury - not too bad so continued to ride. Came home tonight and it was fine - full power, no misfire at all???

Symptoms - lack of power in relation to revs, seemed to clear when high revving and then re-appeared when low revving / lack of gas / coasting.

2. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Why do you suspect the fuel, float carbs stuck or blocked jets maybe?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    I suspect the fuel because I have had it happen with cars before.
    Also did full clean up on carbs (including a balance a couple of weeks ago)
    I really maintain my bike well.
    Oil & filter change every 3k; air filter cleaned / re-oiled every month, chain cleaned & lubed weekly, brake discs cleaned weekly e.t.c..............e.t.c............

I rely on my bike as my only form of transport and because I commute so many miles per week (400 miles) - I need to know that it's in A1 condition all of the time.

Also a certain utility company were digging a very big hole next to this particular petrol station is (and very close to where I assume their tanks may be) - I may be wrong though (Tomorrow I will try to check if there is any water in the tank) Water will
    sink right to the bottom of the tank.

4. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    I'd pop your ht caps off too ken whilst your at it weather has been pretty pants lately and damp may have got in, also check plug tops are tight and haven't shook themselves loose, I've had that before now.

5. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    What bike is it? It could be carb icing, my zx9 used to ice like a bastid in foggy weather, despite having the heating matrix fitted, something to do with the big airbox. Silkolene pro fst will fix it, or 99.9% pure isopropanol, which is what i used to buy from Ebay in bulk, i'm sure i still have a 5 litre in the shed which is half full, it's yours if you want it.

6. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks Mitch - I'll PM you later.

I have a carb version gixxer with a heated matrix - yep could be icing up though (it was cold enough - with wind chill included

7. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    I'd pop your ht caps off too ken whilst your at it weather has been pretty pants lately and damp may have got in, also check plug tops are tight and haven't shook themselves loose, I've had that before now.
    Thanks Gooz - good shout; I'll pop it all out and see if there's a prob.

8. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    why did I call you ken ???? My fookin head is up my ass lately,

9. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    why did I call you ken ???? My fookin head is up my ass lately,
    No worries mate! I'm the same at the mo - too much to do at home & work and not enough time to do a proper job.

Stipped the bike down after a whizz Today - no problems with anything.
    No problems on the ride either - bad fuel is my guess - but I guess it's all gone through now.

You'd be surprised how often petrol has too much water in it - I am used to using petrol power tools of all kinds and I have had this problem too many times to mention.

10. Re: Water in petrol?? 
    Have had this on the Triumph and GS; and I think (corret me is wrong) Toph had it with his old Honda and it was down to debris in the fuel blocking jets.

Sounds like the float jet isn't closing, causing the bike to flood on one pot. This will clear as you draw the fuel through at high revs.

The quick answer is to drain the float bows a few times and try to flush it out (I did this on the GS and it cured it) the proper way is to remove the float bowls and clean out the jets and bowls.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"