Notices

Thread: Flashing blue lights...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    [quote author=Nicky link=1352970875/6#6 date=1352973298]I'm going to sound like a geek now but the Highway Code actually has some sensible guidance on this it says -

... You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
    Yeah Ive read that too when I was doing my theory but I was more concerned whether you actually physically have to stop or if you can pull over and keep going at a lower speed to let it pass.
    [/quote]

I understand where you're coming from and as you can see no black and white answer.

As others have said the worst thing you can do is to stop regardless like some people do.

I try and think about it from the view of the driver of the emergency services vehicle - if I was them where would I want me to be so that I could get past asap.

2. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    blue, green light in front or behind..........thats a go like **** sign to me...............lol..only joking :

3. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Diamond Member
    I have on occasion maintained or increased speed to keep myself clear until I have reached a safe place to slow down or pull over. That's another option, but again purely depends on the road conditions and environment. I won't recommend breaking the speed limit to others but I will confess to doing so in some circumstances and will do again if its the right thing to do at the time.

4. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    I am the same, I have been known to floor it if its unsafe to stop or slow down. I have done this for All services including Police and they have never challenged me. I would not push your luck though in doing this. As long as you are safe I am sure they will overlook it at the time.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Ok, thanks for all the advice. I feel a little more happier now if it happens again.

The daily commute in and out of bath has a lot of challenges and some good learning experience and topped with being able to ask people on here I shall be a pro in no time haha.

6. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    One other place NOT to stop is on a single lane with double white lines. Surprisingly the emergency vehicle is not allowed to cross them so stopping there will just cause a big problem.

7. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    I am the same, I have been known to floor it if its unsafe to stop or slow down. I have done this for All services including Police and they have never challenged me. I would not push your luck though in doing this. As long as you are safe I am sure they will overlook it at the time.
    Ditto - I've done exactly the same thing on bikes and in cars.
    It's a judgement call in relation to conditions - in fact I have actually been thanked by some Police officers for doing exactly the right thing! (Rapidly increasing speed to get out of the way)

8. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    One other place NOT to stop is on a single lane with double white lines. Surprisingly the emergency vehicle is not allowed to cross them so stopping there will just cause a big problem.
    The Highway Code states that vehicles that are doing less than 10mph or are stationary can be passed on double whites does it not?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    That may be true but the doubles are there for a reason, and generally it isn't a place to pass unless you can clearly see the road ahead.

10. Re: Flashing blue lights... 

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.