Notices

Thread: Flashing blue lights...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Flashing blue lights... 
    I have a question, Your riding along a 60 road and an ambulance/police/fire engine etc comes up with its lights flashing.
    In a car, Id put my indicator on to pull over and stop.

If there is nothing in front of you, do you pull over and stop, or pull to the side and slow down but keep going at a lower speed?

I was riding along 2 days ago and thought of this, then yesterday, ironically, on the same bit of road I could see an ambulance coming so when It got closer I pulled over and stopped to let it past, but another motorcyclist I could see ahead just pulled and went at a slower speed, and then sped up and followed him overtaking the cars that had pulled in.

Don't want to get in bad habits and rather do the right thing.

2. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Platinum Member
    You're riding a bike, and an ambulance caught up with you? I guess you must be on a 125 then, if so whatever is safe to do, there is no hard and fast rule, pull over or go slower, neither is right. Depends on terrain and circumstances.

3. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Read the road your on alex, I used to drive blue light, the worst possible thing was people just stopping dead where it wasnt safe for us to pass, we could normally pass bikes but fairness they didnt tend to hold us up much, cars stopping hinders progress in hte wrong area, we would much rather people carried on making progress until we could choose to pass, Im not sure whats being taught nowadays as everyone seems to stop dead.

4. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    I was taught in a car that you should pull over and stop if its safe to do so and basically just get out the way. That was 12 years ago now though. Perhaps its different these days.

Yes Im on a 125. I was doing 60, It was in the dark on the A36. Plenty of room for him to go past because there was nothing coming but I wasnt sure If I stopped or just slowed down.

Just curious as to what was the better thing to do, I wouldn't stop if its not safe but I wasn't sure what the exact rules were, just in case when I do my test in the future it happened really.

5. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    all depends on the circumstances at the time

6. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    oky doky, thanks guys. I will remember that and implement the correct manoeuvre for the circumstance next time

7. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    I'm going to sound like a geek now but the Highway Code actually has some sensible guidance on this it says -

... You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

8. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    i normally pull in near the kerb and slow down but i've had idiots in cars behind not see the police car and overtake me! slow and steady in my book but ach time is different, just do whatever feels right at the time.
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

9. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    I'm going to sound like a geek now but the Highway Code actually has some sensible guidance on this it says -

... You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
    Yeah Ive read that too when I was doing my theory but I was more concerned whether you actually physically have to stop or if you can pull over and keep going at a lower speed to let it pass.

10. Re: Flashing blue lights... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A13X4ND7A
    [quote author=Nicky link=1352970875/6#6 date=1352973298]I'm going to sound like a geek now but the Highway Code actually has some sensible guidance on this it says -

Yeah Ive read that too when I was doing my theory but I was more concerned whether you actually physically have to stop or if you can pull over and keep going at a lower speed to let it pass.
    [/quote]

You can do either, but which one you decide to do is a judgement call at the time as it depends on the situation you find yourself in. The most important thing is not to panic and hit the brakes but decide what you are going to do by taking the road ahead into account and do it without dithering and do it safely for you, other road users and the emergency vehicle coming up behind you.