Notices

Thread: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Hey guys,

I'm having some problems with my bike chain and was looking at having my bike serviced. I know there are plenty to choose from in the Swindon area, but somebody from WB's once mentioned to my mum (who works in Chippenham) that there is a guy that does good bike servicing in Wootton Bassett. Does anybody know of any good places I could go?

For anybody that is curious, the bike is a '98 Kawasaki ER-5 (my first bike) and every 2-3 months the chain becomes a bit too slack, and it hangs down whilst riding and rubs against the swingarm making a horrible clunking sound. Usually I just tighten the chain (leaving it an inch or so slack) and carry on. However, this time the chain seems to be completely knackered. Even if I set it up so that it is at its tightest and I daren't tighten it any more, if i turn the back wheel a few times there is a loose spot in the chain that still hangs slack. I've seen a chain and sprocket set costs about £90+, but I dont have the balls to fit it myself! I'd much rather get it all checked out by a pro and make sure I havent done any damage.

Thanks for any help guys!
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

2. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    every chain stretches with use and eventually reaches the end of it's usefulness at some point.

changing the sprockets is the second easiest thing i did on mine, only thing easier is brake pads IMHO.

Ask Street Hippo, he knows an ex liney out RWB who does bikes, failing that try Steve Lynham in Swindon, good service
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Hi Rob.
    All my bike services are done by fellow WBer bobtheimp at anarchy motorcycles in calne. He is brilliant & doesn't bull****. His prices are very cheap too. Highly recommended.
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

4. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    cannot recommend anyone in your area as im not from there.

but yeah your chain is bolloxed

im sure you wouldn't have damaged anything that cant be put right (new sprockets and chain)

5. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Platinum Member
    Cridge autos on Whitehill ind est. Paul is a top mech, trust him with my cars and all my bikes, tell him Nick sent you.

6. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to get in touch with Cridge Autos in Wootton Bassett and see what they can do for me

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

7. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Platinum Member
    Do it yourself - it's relatively easy.

Get a chain & sprocket kit on-line (it can be cheaper)
    Get the best quality you can afford (X ring DID & JT Sprockets are good; go for steel sprockets as they are the strongest ; don't be tempted by lightweight race ones - they won't last!)
    Remember this is the biggest influence on smoothness of ride, acceleration & power transfer.

Other things you'll need :-
    Torque wrench.
    Spanners for removal of nuts & bolts.
    Something to cut the chain off with.
    Rear paddock stand.
    Lube.
    A mate to help with front sprocket removal.

Tip - Don't be tempted to cut the chain off before you remove the front sprocket - you'll have nothing to work against when loosening the front sprocket!!!

That's all you need - it's pretty easy really
    Get a Haynes manual for your bike - it's easy to do it yourself!

8. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Even I managed to change a chain! It really is easy as there isn't much that can go wrong with a chain and two sprockets. Just make sure you tighten everything up afterwards and sit back in the warm glow of a job well done
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

9. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    I managed to do my chain and sprockets myself, loosened the front sprocket leaning across the bike stood on the rear brake obviously before removing the chain. I saw this method on a youtube video. I got a chain rivetter free when I bought the chain and sprocket kit and cut the chain off with a dremel.

Made a huge difference to the bike.

10. Re: Motorbike Servicing in Wootton Bassett 
    Robbie are you check your chain often enough?

The way it is worded sounds like you are checking every 2-3 months! If that is the case it has probably to wear your chain out sooner than expected.

I do mine weekly to make sure it hasn't gone too slack and it has got 16,000 niles on it in 3 years and will probably do another 3000 miles before it needs changing. An ER-5 chain should last a while before it goes, I know my GS500 lasted 18000 before it went.

Beamer might be able to tell you more regarding chainlife as she owns an ER-5 and will have more knowledge than me.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/