Notices

Thread: Servicing your own bike and warranties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    I may or may not have asked this before I have looked on the web but found nothing specific and I know someone on here will have the knowledge.

My Question: I have a 2012 Honda motorcycle with a two year warranty and have had it serviced the last two times by a Honda Franchise. I have nothing wrong with the Honda Franchise and the Mechanic is excellent. Things that should be checked and replaced are. If you need to chat with him you can.

However, as I'm office bound I always think of tinkering with the bike at the weekend, because I have a thirst for 'how things work'.

I've got my 16,000 mile service coming up soon and I'm in two minds as to get Honda to do it or Buy the Honda Service Manual, the tools and do it myself.

I contacted Honda and asked if doing the work myself would void the warranty.

Honda's Reply:

You risk losing the warranty on your motorcycle if non-genuine Honda parts are used or if a fault occurs due to the repairs carried out by yourself.

From that my question is then... Am I basically ****ed if anything goes wrong... but then so long as I follow protocol and use genuine parts (which I would) am I then still able to claim, should anything go wrong with my Honda?

It seems grey area.

2. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    i see the dilema.... Grey area indeed,

i would buy the workshop manual if available. Read it, then see how confident you feel in taking on the task... You may want it in future for other services on the bike. However i think (not 100%) the 16,000 is a valve check and i wouldnt like a grey area regarding that service...

I will ask Pete Honda Tech and post up.

3. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Yep valve adjustments + more. Dont let that scare you though. Might be a challenge but would be a good learning curve...

Grey area regarding Honda warranty and self adjusting aswell. :-/

Dont know what i would do....

4. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkie1986
    i see the dilema.... Grey area indeed,

i would buy the workshop manual if available. Read it, then see how confident you feel in taking on the task... You may want it in future for other services on the bike. However i think (not 100%) the 16,000 is a valve check and i wouldn't like a grey area regarding that service...

I will ask Pete Honda Tech and post up.

That's the thing Mikkie, every 8,000 miles on the NCX is a Valve Clearance.
    Drop the rad to the side pop off the cover and were in... plus change a few other parts as required.

Pete does a great Job! 8-)

5. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash,
    As costly as it may be taking it to the dealer for the first two years it may be your best bet.
    Suzuki tried to have me when there were non-genuine Suzuki parts on the bike, the dealer I bought it from serviced it! The bike then died two weeks later and I was facing the bill for a new engine until the receipts came out that stated what had been put on the bike.

I know Honda's are nigh on bulletproof but be wary if you install something that isn't manufacturer approved it may bite you hard in the pocket. As soon as it is out of warranty then do as much as you can yourself because it does save a fortune.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

6. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by dipple666
    Splash,
    As costly as it may be taking it to the dealer for the first two years it may be your best bet.
    Suzuki tried to have me when there were non-genuine Suzuki parts on the bike, the dealer I bought it from serviced it! The bike then died two weeks later and I was facing the bill for a new engine until the receipts came out that stated what had been put on the bike.

I know Honda's are nigh on bulletproof but be wary if you install something that isn't manufacturer approved it may bite you hard in the pocket. As soon as it is out of warranty then do as much as you can yourself because it does save a fortune.
    Dan,

In all honestly it's not about the cost. I'm happy to spend the money especially when I know Pete is at the hands of my Bike.

I have just recently had the thirst to get my hands dirty,for once and get stuck in!

As I do a lot of miles, and will most probably do even more next year, I know there will be a point when I'll need some mechanical experience, so wanted to start.

I wouldn't go cheap on parts, just isn't worth it, I ride my bike 24/7 and want to know it has the manu approved parts whether is was under warranty or not, I'd still ensure they were.

But yes you are right thinking about it it'll save me a fortune, after I have purchased most of the tools and crap!

I have spent around £450.00 on Honda servicing since I got the bike in June!

Another thing is that the Dealership costs for the bike in particular vary majorly around the south!

8-)

7. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash,
    Pretty simple really - if you want to preserve the warranty intact and without any arguments down the line, get it Dealer Serviced.
    If you want to learn about mechanics, buy an old bike and learn on that. There'll be far more to do than on a modern bike and for the mechanically inexperienced it'll be a lot easier to pick up as older technology is more accessible and less reliant on masses of electronics. Look in the paper or on-line for something advertised as "Spares or Repairs", "MoT failure" or similar that you can pick up nice and cheap, buy a manual and some tools and start learning.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Splash,
    Pretty simple really - if you want to preserve the warranty intact and without any arguments down the line, get it Dealer Serviced.
    If you want to learn about mechanics, buy an old bike and learn on that. There'll be far more to do than on a modern bike and for the mechanically inexperienced it'll be a lot easier to pick up as older technology is more accessible and less reliant on masses of electronics. Look in the paper or on-line for something advertised as "Spares or Repairs", "MoT failure" or similar that you can pick up nice and cheap, buy a manual and some tools and start learning.
    I just wondered what the law said and if it was the same as cars, man I'd love to buy another bike, I'd get a XL125 Varadero (Always wanted one - in white) and service / tinker with that... but I'm only allowed one, words of my father.

9. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Scotty has summed it up very well.

I'd take the Honda to a dealer until the warranty is up. In the meantime get a cheap, simple bike to fiddle with and learn about.

The only thing a manufacturer is duty bound to fix is a recall. If the engine packs up due to a sensor failing (for instance) during the warranty period it's up to the reading of the warrenty details as to whether your covered. If you have it serviced by a Honda dealer who is a trained Honda mechanic using Honda parts then their scope for wriggling out is nil. If you do it using Honda parts in your garage then they can blame you for the failure and get out that way. It's then up to you to argue the toss with them.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    Cheers Guys!