Notices

Thread: Servicing your own bike and warranties

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Diamond Member
    I think you've had pretty much the same answers here. But to be clear, it is illegal for a manufacturer to refuse a warranty claim on the basis that the service has not been done by a manufacturers own dealer franchise. That loophole was closed a few years ago. What they can do is refuse a warranty claim if non-recommended spares/parts have been fitted or the correct service intervals/procedures have not been followed.

Having said that, if you have had it dealer serviced its usually a faster and easier track to getting warranty items replaced simply because there's an extra check to be made for approving the claim if the work was done elsewhere. Also, the dealer you may want to use to do the work may refuse if you have not bought the bike from them in the first place. Its the dealer that sold you the bike that you have the sales contract with.

I service my own bikes because I really enjoy doing it and know what's actually been done rather than what the stamp says has been done. As an aside I have saved a fortune on BMW service prices. I agree with Scotty that you need to be careful what you take on as a start and also you should buy a few decent tools where necessary plus the manufacturers service manual. Do some research first and ask questions from others who have done it before.

2. Re: Servicing your own bike and warranties 
    Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I think you've had pretty much the same answers here. But to be clear, it is illegal for a manufacturer to refuse a warranty claim on the basis that the service has not been done by a manufacturers own dealer franchise. That loophole was closed a few years ago. What they can do is refuse a warranty claim if non-recommended spares/parts have been fitted or the correct service intervals/procedures have not been followed.

Having said that, if you have had it dealer serviced its usually a faster and easier track to getting warranty items replaced simply because there's an extra check to be made for approving the claim. Also, the dealer you may want to use to do the work may refuse if you have not bought the bike from them in the first place. Its the dealer that sold you the bike that you have the sales contract with.

I service my own bikes because I really enjoy doing it and know what's actually been done rather than what the stamp says has been done. As an aside I have saved a fortune on BMW service prices. I agree with Scotty that you need to be careful what you take on as a start and also you should buy a few decent tools where necessary plus the manufacturers service manual. Do some research first and ask questions from others who have done it before.

Thanks Snowy, very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    ....... But to be clear, it is illegal for a manufacturer to refuse a warranty claim on the basis that the service has not been done by a manufacturers own dealer franchise. That loophole was closed a few years ago. .......
    I was reading the latest Ride magazine last night and remembered this thread - they have a small article on it this month.

Apparently the Motor Vehicle Block Exemption Regulation refers to passenger cars and doesnt include motorcycles, so if you do want to rely on a manufacturers warranty with a bike it must be dealer serviced.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    I was reading the latest Ride magazine last night and remembered this thread - they have a small article on it this month.

Apparently the Motor Vehicle Block Exemption Regulation refers to passenger cars and doesnt include motorcycles, so if you do want to rely on a manufacturers warranty with a bike it must be dealer serviced.
    My understanding which is based on discussions on another forum with people who's day jobs are within the motor trade sector (cars and bikes) plus some reading of the relevant EU articles, would be the opposite in that the EU Block Exemption Directive covers "Motor Vehicles" as a generic term. One of the contributors on this forum is a BMW main dealer and confirmed that their understanding is also along the lines that bikes are included. My personal experience is that I have had warranty work performed on my own bike even though I do my own servicing and repair work which I back up with full service records and receipts. However, I don't profess to be an expert in the matter and since I have no interest personally in dealer servicing then I'm not going to pursue or argue the point. There are other types of warranties, the type sold by insurance companies after a manufacturers warranty has expired which can (and usually do) stipulate dealer servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    My understanding which is based on discussions on another forum with people who's day jobs are within the motor trade sector (cars and bikes) plus some reading of the relevant EU articles, would be the opposite in that the EU Block Exemption Directive covers "Motor Vehicles" as a generic term. One of the contributors on this forum is a BMW main dealer and confirmed that their understanding is also along the lines that bikes are included. My personal experience is that I have had warranty work performed on my own bike even though I do my own servicing and repair work which I back up with full service records and receipts. However, I don't profess to be an expert in the matter and since I have no interest personally in dealer servicing then I'm not going to pursue or argue the point. There are other types of warranties, the type sold by insurance companies after a manufacturers warranty has expired which can (and usually do) stipulate dealer servicing.
    Hi Snowy

I just read the article and thought I'd mention it, but like you am no expert.

Sadly it's not relevant to me with an old bike

Going back to the reply from Honda the bit about using genuine parts is straightforward, whereas the part about "if a fault occurs due to the repairs carried out by yourself" is much less so. Essentially during the process of a warranty claim they will want evidence of the use of genuine parts along with proof that they were fitted by a 'competent person'. If you feel that you could provide both and accept the inevitable delay due to non dealer service history (noting that you say you use the bike 24/7), then do the work yourself. If not then let the dealer do it until the warranty expires. Another aspect is of course the affect on re-sale value, depending on how long you intend to keep the bike this may also be something you need to consider.

Don't touch it till the warranty is up. If it goes wrong there is no way to prove you are competent as you are not a Honda mechanic.

If you cant get another bike (As your father says) then do what I did and just buy the engine. I have a 600 bandit engine I strip and rebuild to get the practice for when I need to anything on mine. You can get them cheap if you ask in the right places (forum, etc but not ebay) I got mine for £30.

Good luck.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.