Notices

Thread: Knee down/ riding position

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    It is big, it is clever, and it is a rite of passage. However it isn't so that you can find the bikes limits. If you were close to doing that, you'd already be racing. On the track, your knee will go down without trying as the tarmac is grippier and you can take the right lines as no oncoming traffic. On the road, you have to overcompensate for the fact your bike isn't being pushed at all. Ideally, you'll bein 3rd gear, at about 30-35mph.

Rossi is banked over, practically lying it down at well over 120mph.... If you can take highworth roundabout that fast, you won't need to ask how to get your knee down! ;D

2. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leecooke1985
    So when watching the professionals they are all getting their knee down as it aids them in working out how much lean angle they have left so as not to push the bike past it's limits.
    Yes, anyone can ride equally as quick without getting knee down however they will not have a physical feeling as to how much they are leaning and therefor, could, lean the bike too far resulting in them dropping the bike.

To mention Rossi and the like, they all use their knee as a pointer to how far they are pushing the bike.

Obviously I will not be pushing the bike to its limit and am not making out that I want the knee down for any other reason than self gratification, however those that do race correctly all state that the knee down is safer as it allows the bike to be held upright thus allowing more acceleration out of the corners as the contact patch is greater.

I may be wrong but after reading racers testimonials that seems to be the common consensus.
    I know the science of it. That wasn't my point. You were trying to justify your antics based on "using its full potential". The real reason, as you've just said, is for personal gratification. Which is fine. On the road if you reach the very limit of a bike, frankly, you're a muppet! If anything were to happen you've left nothing in reserve to get out of the situation.
    I wasn't condemning you for wanting to KD I was merely saying, don't try and wrap it in crap, you want to get your knee down to say "I got my knee down". Absolutely nothing wrong with that, crack on!!!

3. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    I don't think its clever, cool or a rite of passage to being a biker. Anyone who knows the whys and wherefore's about it won't be impressed at all. You can do it on a Goldwing so why is it such a big deal on a sportsbike? The racers do it on track for a reason, there's no advantage in doing it on the road. Too many people get sucked into believing its the thing to do. It is'nt.

All my opinion of course before the blinded masses shout a deluge of arguments back

4. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    I think you all need to grow up and just ride cause its fun and we enjoy it. If you get your knee down bonus, if not.......... bonus, your still on a bike riding.............

5. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I don't think its clever, cool or a rite of passage to being a biker.
    You ride a BMW. What would you know about cool? :P

Only joking of course!

6. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1344798791/22#22 date=1345207048]I don't think its clever, cool or a rite of passage to being a biker.

Only joking of course! [/quote]

Your're so last century SF ;D ;D

7. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by nico_stew
    I think you all need to grow up and just ride cause its fun and we enjoy it. If you get your knee down bonus, if not.......... bonus, your still on a bike riding.............

I think this just about says it all.

8. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1344798791/24#24 date=1345216957][quote author=BMWGraeme link=1344798791/22#22 date=1345207048]I don't think its clever, cool or a rite of passage to being a biker.

Only joking of course! [/quote]

Surely the easiest comeback was "and what do you ride SF?"

Your're so last century SF ;D ;D
    [/quote]
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

9. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by leecooke1985
    Why have a 4x4 in the city when you'll never take it off road? Having something and not using its full potential is abserd.
    Why is it absurd?

I drive a 4x4, it never goes off road, never tows anything - it's mostly used for school runs and shopping (and the occasional long distance outing)... why is that a problem?

Off topic I know, and Im not wishing to start a 4x4 debate either, Im just curious why you think its relevant

10. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    Currently, I'm riding a 2011 gator... I've inherited it from one of the pro riders