Notices

Thread: Knee down/ riding position

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    i was same as you wanted to do it spent hours going round a quiet roundabout couple inches of the floor till finally it happened then it just seemed so easy dont know why i had struggled. went out bought some sparky knee sliders wore them out the following night, and have never tried since. i know the roads not the place for it but its part of the biking experience have ticked the box and no longer need to do it nothing to prove, have done a few track days and dont even try there as concentrate more on the riding and enjoying the day. be patient while trying when it happens you will wonder why you struggled so long and what all the fuss is about

2. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Cheers vinny, think your definitely right. Wes I move to Wesbury in two weeks time. You know some good areas?

3. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Any sportsbike rider who claims to have never thought about trying to get their knee down is a liar.

4. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by leecooke1985
    Cheers vinny, think your definitely right. Wes I move to Wesbury in two weeks time. You know some good areas?
    Yes mate, more around the Bristol area really, but we can sort something out

5. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Sounds good I'll let you know when ive moved.

6. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    To own and ride a sport bike and then say what's the point in getting knee down is like owning a 4x4 in London. Why have a 4x4 in the city when you'll never take it off road? Having something and not using its full potential is abserd.
    I have a super intelligent child but I don't want him to do well at school...same as:
    I have a sport racing bike but I don't want to ride it properly. Just saying...

7. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leecooke1985
    To own and ride a sport bike and then say what's the point in getting knee down is like owning a 4x4 in London. Why have a 4x4 in the city when you'll never take it off road? Having something and not using its full potential is abserd.
    I have a super intelligent child but I don't want him to do well at school...same as:
    Getting your knee down doesn't mean your riding the bike properly. It means your planting your knee on the floor :]

Don't get me wrong i'm all for getting on your knees for a play, but the act of getting your knee down doesn't make you go any faster or have better form through corners. Was out the other day and followed a CBR1000rr and 996 ridden by two people scraping their knee on the floor every corner, i proceeded to fly past them, on a CB500, still sat completely in line with the bike and disappear into the distance.

By all means go and play on a roundabout and knacker the sliders but don't try to justify it saying it will mean your using your bikes potential. When you can match lap times set by Rossi on the same bike you will be using its full potential!

Yes its fun, yes it looks cool, provided the bike isn't still bolt upright, and yes, by all means go and do it. But admit its purely because you want to get your knee down, don't wind all the crap about getting more from the bike and using it as it is supposed to be used around it!

Now!! Go find a roundabout!

8. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=leecooke1985 link=1344798791/15#15 date=1345136593]To own and ride a sport bike and then say what's the point in getting knee down is like owning a 4x4 in London. Why have a 4x4 in the city when you'll never take it off road? Having something and not using its full potential is abserd.
    Getting your knee down doesn't mean your riding the bike properly. It means your planting your knee on the floor :]

Don't get me wrong i'm all for getting on your knees for a play, but the act of getting your knee down doesn't make you go any faster or have better form through corners. Was out the other day and followed a CBR1000rr and 996 ridden by two people scraping their knee on the floor every corner, i proceeded to fly past them, on a CB500, still sat completely in line with the bike and disappear into the distance.

By all means go and play on a roundabout and knacker the sliders but don't try to justify it saying it will mean your using your bikes potential. When you can match lap times set by Rossi on the same bike you will be using its full potential!

Yes its fun, yes it looks cool, provided the bike isn't still bolt upright, and yes, by all means go and do it. But admit its purely because you want to get your knee down, don't wind all the crap about getting more from the bike and using it as it is supposed to be used around it!

Now!! Go find a roundabout! [/quote]

haha i did chuckle when reading this,
    you make a valid point G3o
    it is purely for ****s a giggles, its fun, it looks cool and it gives you something to brag about. But your right, you can take that corner just as fast if your knees are gripping the tank as you can when your knee is dragging along-side you.
    down to rider preference at the end of the day, personally, i enjoy watching people bank the bike right over scrapping their knee and i'd LOVE to be able to get it down, and wont give up trying until i succeed lol

9. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    So when watching the professionals they are all getting their knee down as it aids them in working out how much lean angle they have left so as not to push the bike past it's limits.
    Yes, anyone can ride equally as quick without getting knee down however they will not have a physical feeling as to how much they are leaning and therefor, could, lean the bike too far resulting in them dropping the bike.

To mention Rossi and the like, they all use their knee as a pointer to how far they are pushing the bike.

Obviously I will not be pushing the bike to its limit and am not making out that I want the knee down for any other reason than self gratification, however those that do race correctly all state that the knee down is safer as it allows the bike to be held upright thus allowing more acceleration out of the corners as the contact patch is greater.

I may be wrong but after reading racers testimonials that seems to be the common consensus.

10. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Diamond Member
    Hanging off the bike allows you to reduce the amount of lean the bike needs to go round the corner. In normal conditions you are not pushing the bike to its maximum lean angle whether you are hanging off or not. This is why in wet weather you are better off moving a bit off the saddle so you don't have to lean the bike quite so much as you have less grip. Racers do it so they can get to the maximum lean angle for their bikes, but I would suggest its only a benefit for the track.