The first bike I got my knee down on was a Honda CG125. I then managed it on a Honda MT50, MTX125 (both with nobblies), and then a Yamaha FZR1000. I used to do knee down everywhere, on every bike I owned, just for the hell of it. I even got my knee down turning in my driveway. Then I went racing, and found that I would hardly ever get my knee down, apart from the odd dab to determine lean angle. I've never 'saved' the bike on my knee (most mere mortals couldn't). Did it look good on the track? Of course. Does it look good on the road? Not to me anymore. Sorry, but it just looks like someone's trying too hard. However, along with wheelies, stoppies, riding side-saddle, etc, if it gives you a giggle then it's worth having a go.

One word of warning though. I had a instructor that used to bragg about getting his knee down. Was always a bit mysterious as he never wore knee sliders. Then one day he turns up with some bright yellow shiny new knee sliders. He disappears lunchtime (unusual), then returns half an hour later. End of the day he says he can't get his knee down, could I tell him what he's doing wrong. So I follow him to the local roundabout, and find he's in too low a gear and not hanging off enough. I say this to him, and he asks if he could follow me to see how I do it. So I circulate a couple of times on my old Fazer 600, start scraping said knee, then am confronted with 'tother instructor lying in the road with his bike on top of him! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't stop laughing at the time, and still can't help myself now...