Notices

Thread: Knee down/ riding position

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    [quote author=leecooke1985 link=1344798791/15#15 date=1345136593] Why have a 4x4 in the city when you'll never take it off road? Having something and not using its full potential is abserd.
    Why is it absurd?

I drive a 4x4, it never goes off road, never tows anything - it's mostly used for school runs and shopping (and the occasional long distance outing)... why is that a problem?

Off topic I know, and Im not wishing to start a 4x4 debate either, Im just curious why you think its relevant [/quote]

I ride a gsxr but I don't ride it like pros. Nothing wrong with owning 4x4 but the only point I was making is I own a bike that I want to use the way it was designed to be used.
    You don't have a 4x4 because you like off roading, but because you like it which is fine. It was just an example.

I use 4x4 as example as they are so expensive to own compared to a large family car.

Hope you know what I mean.

2. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    camera.op76
    Set yourself up before the corner. Arms relaxed, counter steer, and lay on the tank, may feel weird at first.

Years ago I didnt just get my knee down, I got the rest of me down too! ;D

3. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960

+1 what is the point?.
    None whatsoever but it makes the lads envious when grannies do it. ;D

I would never dream of getting the knee down on the roads though. I'm too aware of my own mortality at this stage to be messing about and would want to be in complete control if that car round the bend happened to be in my way.

4. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Again with the knees down thing.

To make a point I dont hardly move around at all on my R6 and ask anyone on here who knows me, I am anything but slow in the bends! Getting your knee down as Scotty said means you are not concerntrating 100% on the road and more on your body/knee. I need every split second of concentration I have for road riding when going quick, sod shifting around.

To make my point, this is me. I did the video to test the camera mounted where it was but it proves my point. I was hardly loitering and those are some quite impressive lean angles, but I dont move at all!

http://youtu.be/lKHPZSlVX38?hd=1

5. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    What camera did you use mate?

6. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrrw
    What camera did you use mate?
    Thats a Contour GPS http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

7. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    The first bike I got my knee down on was a Honda CG125. I then managed it on a Honda MT50, MTX125 (both with nobblies), and then a Yamaha FZR1000. I used to do knee down everywhere, on every bike I owned, just for the hell of it. I even got my knee down turning in my driveway. Then I went racing, and found that I would hardly ever get my knee down, apart from the odd dab to determine lean angle. I've never 'saved' the bike on my knee (most mere mortals couldn't). Did it look good on the track? Of course. Does it look good on the road? Not to me anymore. Sorry, but it just looks like someone's trying too hard. However, along with wheelies, stoppies, riding side-saddle, etc, if it gives you a giggle then it's worth having a go.

One word of warning though. I had a instructor that used to bragg about getting his knee down. Was always a bit mysterious as he never wore knee sliders. Then one day he turns up with some bright yellow shiny new knee sliders. He disappears lunchtime (unusual), then returns half an hour later. End of the day he says he can't get his knee down, could I tell him what he's doing wrong. So I follow him to the local roundabout, and find he's in too low a gear and not hanging off enough. I say this to him, and he asks if he could follow me to see how I do it. So I circulate a couple of times on my old Fazer 600, start scraping said knee, then am confronted with 'tother instructor lying in the road with his bike on top of him! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't stop laughing at the time, and still can't help myself now...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    I have tried my knee down once or twice now, i can't tell you how close i came cause i was concentrating. Bad thing is my fav side for turning is going left where as we go right round the roundabouts.

I think my problem is carrying enough speed as i am concious about running wide if i don't get it right.

9. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    I am about 4 inches away now... Lol. But to be honest I have just bought new leather pants and they don't have knee sliders on.however with my old trousers I can hardly get knee out. With new ones I can stretch it right out.
    Now I'm left with dilemma. Do I try scraping knee in new leathers? Will it go terribly wrong without sliders? Or just push further with old leathers I can hardly move in with sliders probably ending up on my arse?? Lol.
    Choices choices..

10. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    If your that desperate to get your knee down (go to church)