Notices

Thread: Knee down/ riding position

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Knee down/ riding position 
    Right here's the dilemma. Ball of foot on outside of peg, foot pivoted in do heel on guard. Bum cheek off the seat. Right elbow towards floor left arm pretty straight, both arms relaxed. Trying to kiss mirror. Knee pushed out however only at about 45 degrees as leathers little too tight.
    Result: my knee about 4-6 inches from ground, no "chicken " strips on tyre....

Why no knee down!!!?? As embarrassing as it is to admit.
    How much lean angle does a k7 gsxr have? I feel at the limit.

2. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    The lean angle isn't the key thig, it's how far you can hang of the bike. If you hang off enough the bike can actually not lean much at all and you'll still get the result

That's my understanding from watching and reading - never tried it myself, don't really see the point
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Yeah I know what you mean, want to achieve this as I'd like to see the bike as a sport to enjoy not just a hobby.
    I feel like I'm really hanging off but it's literally those last few inches. As weird as this sounds I tried my wife's leathers in and although I couldnt do them up I could bend and move my legs do much more than in mine.. Lol
    I think I need some looser leathers. Or at least that'll be the excuse I'll use for now.

4. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Are you trying this on track or on the roads? The track is the best place for these fun and games, a far safer environment and you won't get nicked for your troubles either. If you are trying it on track the best thing to do is stop trying, you won't be concentrating on what you should be doing, which is getting round a lap as well as you can (not necessarily as fast as you can) Practice being consistent and hitting your braking and turning markers every time, you'll speed up and getting your knee down will then come naturally. Spending all your time and energy trying to get your knee down will have you riding more slowly, looking like a twat and possibly falling off! If you're trying on the road you're just making yourself a liability - knock it on the head and book a trackday 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

5. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    The lean angle isn't the key thig, it's how far you can hang of the bike. If you hang off enough the bike can actually not lean much at all and you'll still get the result

That's my understanding from watching and reading - never tried it myself, don't really see the point

+1 what is the point?.

6. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    I find it pointless and just showboating. I think on the road it is also dangerous. Dont see the point and not interested in doing this personally.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

7. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Each to their own, but i luurve a bit of scratching out, nothing to with showing off, just part of my biking, speed is the key, or the correct speed/gear for the corner or roundabout, its a bit like finding the balance point, mcn do a really good vid on utube worth a watch.

8. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    I used to struggle on the roads to get my knee down and found that on my first ever track day I was getting my knee down by lunch time. Ever since then it's just become natural. Never been back on the road since. Track days are the way forward :-)

9. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Thanks for all the comments, I am definitely in need of a track day.
    The point to me is definitely just to add to the whole biking experience and be as proficient as possible.
    Guess I'll maybe see some of you on the track

10. Re: Knee down/ riding position 
    Quote Originally Posted by leecooke1985
    Thanks for all the comments, I am definitely in need of a track day.
    The point to me is definitely just to add to the whole biking experience and be as proficient as possible.
    Guess I'll maybe see some of you on the track
    Or out and about mate, where are u based?