Notices

Thread: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob.

1. Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Splash
    Please help!!

I need to replace my tyres soon, and I will replace them again with some BT023's.

Now in the owners book for the NCX it states:

Front: BT023F G 120/70ZR17M/C (58W)
    Rear: BT023R G 160/60ZR17M/C (69W)

Now this is where I tumble, what does that 'G' stand for because I have two options on the following site.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...X,BT,023,REAR/

On the above link I can buy the BT023 for 124.38 (SIZE: 160/60ZR17, 3rd from top) and that description has the 'Characteristic' of G against it or can I select the one that cost 113.18 (2nd from top) but the only difference is that it no longer states the 'G' characteristic (whatever that stands for) and has TL in the description instead which I presume stands for 'Tubeless'.

So the question is do I need to have the 'G' characteristic tyre or can i chose the other option?

EDIT: Just gone and had a look at my current BT023R's and the front states that it's of 'G' type but the rear doesn't state it, leaves me to assume that it's not of 'G' type so does it really matter?

The front is standard from the showroom when I picked the bike up but I had the rear changed by a garage to replace the original as it was worn.

Cheers for any help!!

Ash

2. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Splash
    Ah okay I think I have found my answer, I've only been searching for an eternity!!

The 'G' is effectively 'OEM' for that bike. So Honda may have worked with Bridgestone I presume to 'tweak' the tyre in order to increase performance or something for the NC700X in particular, I found this applied to alot of other bikes.

So the extra you are paying for is most probably the cost of their R&D! or as someone else put it, 'G' is for gullible if you're willing to pay the extra for essentially nothing. ;D

If anyone can confirm, I'd be most grateful

3. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Ash,
    If you hover over the red letters it tells you it is for the German market. I had a quick look on a German tyre supplier and there isn't any difference according to their website. It might be designed for heavier tourers but I can't be sure.

Maybe Mikkie can help you out as he works in a dealership and you know him well. Failing that ring a tyre shop and be cheeky.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

4. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Splash
    Cheers Dan,

I had noticed that, I just thought as the 'G' was also printed in the owners manual I have that is 'English' that it didn't apply or may not be true.

They do a 'GT' which I know is for the bigger bikes, i.e. FJR1300.

I'm pretty sure from what I have read from others there really won't be any difference, or if there is it's minuscule can't see why the prices change so much though just because of that!

5. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    I'd just but a normal BT023 on there and play spot the difference....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I'd just but a normal BT023 on there and play spot the difference....
    +1

I am sure that you wont find any difference between the 'g' and a normal 023.
    Its just a way of getting more money out of you for a dealer specified tyre.

7. Re: Tyre Question - Self confessed Noob. 
    Splash
    Thought it was, I wasn't going to pay the extra to buy the 'G' version if it was basically bike orientated more than the standard 023's. Thanks chaps!