Notices

Thread: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Ash44 seems to have gone missing would love to know how he got on with the rebuild?.

2. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Are Thundercat gearboxes fragile then?? :-?
    as there are 2 people on this thread with Thundercats with knackered gearboxes.. Jap bikes don't have gearbox problems do they??.. I've owned lots of jap bikes over the last 36 years.. I've never before had a gearbox problem.

only commenting because I ride a Thundercat..
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

3. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    I heard in the past there are a few Yamaha bikes which seem to have gearbox problems and its seems to be 2nd or3rd gear.XT600's Thundercat and some TDM's.
    Now if this is related to the way they are built or to rider abuse not sure.
    Which brings me to say i have a Haynes Thundercat/Fazer Manual if anyone wants it for zilch.Pm me if any one is interested .

4. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    PM sent.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

5. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Platinum Member
    '98 R1,ZX9 C1/2,Fireblade 954, all renound for dodgy gearbox's.

6. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Hello all I have returned lol

I managed to get the bike apart on my own and get the engine out. I ended up buying lots of tools and even a heap of wood to make a good work bench.

The bike is currently still all stripped down. I fixed the gearbox cogs and managed to get them all smooth again and all the fragments of metal out of the workings. I went to put the 2 cases back together and found it difficult.

I would use sealant to reseal but im unsure of how much to use and where to apply it. I ended up getting it on the bloomin cogs again so it wasn't smooth rotating again....!!!

Fixed that, and again found it really fiddly lining up the two cases and thats wheres its been for 6months.

Due to the nice weather and bike chat coming up again, Im going to get back onto it again. I'm really worried about how its going to go though as its been 6months and whilst most of the parts are bagged up and numbered, some screws and parts are not. I'm worried 'i'll miss some of the obvious things..

I will be giving it a go for 1/2hrs tomorrow afternoon after work and then on it at the weekend.

Does anyone have a service manual or a guide that would help me remind myself? I have lost the service manual I had downloaded.

7. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Download it again??????????? ;D