Notices

Thread: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Managed to rejig figures etc,

Got gaskets, oil, filters, coolant etc with the new transmission (used) from a low milage fazer from the USA.

All in £215.

£37 for the transmission and £40 for postage!!

few weeks till all the parts arrive and i can get going

2. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermancss
    Managed to rejig figures etc,

Got gaskets, oil, filters, coolant etc with the new transmission (used) from a low milage fazer from the USA.

All in £215.

£37 for the transmission and £40 for postage!!

few weeks till all the parts arrive and i can get going
    Hopefully you will be lucky, but be prepared to get charged 20% VAT on top when it gets imported into the EU from the USA.

3. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by alanTDM
    I use to be a member of the MSN Thundercat group but here is a link to the new site will have lot of info on there http://www.yamaha-thundercats.org/f39-the-workshop.
    Might be worth joining
    I'll see you there kidder, I'm on with the same forum name...

Oh and just to mess with your head google "Thundercat 660cc build" (actually it might be american so try "YZF600r 660cc build", that'll get you thinking, mixture of use of conrods and pistons from FZR and FZS I believe and a different side casing will give you 660cc and a mid more mid range again... Apparantly.. Good write up if you can find it

4. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Hopefully wont be hit with the 20% tax, if I do its only £7 anyway. Still waiting for stupid paypal to clear my payment. didnt realise you needed to have a card on paypal for instant payment.

5. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermancss
    Hopefully wont be hit with the 20% tax, if I do its only £7 anyway. Still waiting for stupid paypal to clear my payment. didnt realise you needed to have a card on paypal for instant payment.
    That's OK then - I misread your post and thought the USA shipment was £215 in total. Good luck!

6. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Yeah the £37 for item and 40 somthing for postage. rest is from different UK sources at best rates I could find.

Hate this brilliant weather and not having the parts. I think I'll book a few days off work when I have all the parts.

7. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Got this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208530832...84.m1497.l2649

and it isn't the same. majorly anoyed now, its from a 98 fazer in good condition too, but some gears/cogs too thin, the gear spacing isnt the same, and I dont think I can just drop it in and use it like I was told it would.

wasted £160 on the other parts I bought and £70 on the actual gears I ordered.

8. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    how did you get on with this?

shame I didnt see this earlier, could have given you a hand. my old thundercat had gearbox problems, jumping out of 2nd gear and then eventually out of 3rd...
    I got the engine in and out so many times that I got to the point where i could do a full engine swap in about 2h..

in the end the cheapest, and easiest solution was to buy a second hand engine.
    Got one off ebay for £200, and the bike is still riding around, sold her back in 2008 i think...

9. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Hi I'd love to know how you got on with this?? I think I may have to undertake it soon myself

10. Re: Yamaha Yzf600r Thundercat gearbox fix thread 
    Hi all,

I've got a '97 Cat. I'm also starting the strip down on mine tomorrow, jumped out of gear a couple of times the other day then got stuck in about 4th I think :S had to make do with that to ride home then after some fiddling can now go through the gears again just about but is far from right.

I'm kinda hoping that it could be something to do with the selectors as been as it has happened so suddenly... because until this point it didn't jump out of gear at all. if I do have to go for the big strip down ill sure be back and any guidance would be more than welcome as i'm dreading it!!! lol.

Ill post back with what I find.