Notices

Thread: Maplins Heated gloves

1. Maplins Heated gloves 
    Banned
    Maplins are selling Electric Heated Premium Gloves for £12.49

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electric-hea...m-large-531709

Has anyone tried them??
    I have a Keis vest but the liners and two cables are £65. Which seems a lot of money for how much I might use them.

The maplins ones look like a cheap option.
    The downsides are there is no protection with them, they won't be water proof and you have to use batteries :-/

2. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Swanny
    I got a pair just out of interest. Yup they are quite warm as heated gloves but absolutely no use as bike gloves. The material is such that the wind just blows straight through them. Ok for walking the dog though
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Banned
    Ok Thanks for the info Nelly
    I'll give them a miss then

4. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Platinum Member
    I tried their vest too - but I returned it!
    The only heat you get is to two small areas on the chest and it eats batteries as if they have gone out of fashion. Not suitable for bike use either.....

Keis is the way forward - I have the vest and outer gloves and they are both Toasty.
    I had to turn the vest off this morning - I got too hot!!!

5. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    I have some Keis outer gloves - generally they are fit for purpose - though I make the following observations...

There is more than 1 non-bonded layer on the palm which reduces acuity of throttle control - maybe not so much of an issue if your throttle is not connected to a high performance engine...

I'm an XL size and I bought XL gloves. They fit ok when the hand is in a normal/relaxed state - but are restrictive in the index finger/thumb span department - in other words - normal hand movement is restricted when operating levers...

I'm thinking of trying the heated inner gloves - but I think I'll leave it another year as winters almost over. Anyone got any experience of these..?

6. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Santa bought me some Keis inner gloves for Xmas which was very exciting - until I realised that my normal gloves wouldn't go over the top of them so that meant either buying a bigger pair of outers or changing them for the all in one pair which I did. They are so warm - but I have to admit they don't have quite the same feel as my normal gloves - and also my battery keeps going flat since I fitted the cable.

7. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Platinum Member
    I use a seperate Keis battery.

8. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    That sounds like a good idea. How long do yo get between charges?

9. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    I tried some Maplin gloves last year, but as Nelly said, they are next to useless on the bike as the wind goes straight through them

10. Re: Maplins Heated gloves 
    Platinum Member
    How long do yo get between charges?
    Between 3 and 17 hours depending on which setting you use (and how many things you have plugged into it of course).
    Setting 5 feels warm but that would only last 3 hours, so I would only use that if it was really cold and I was doing a short journey.

If I am going on a days rideout then I tend to put it on 2 or 3 to make the battery last longer and I adjust it during the day.
    If you want it to last all day then you do have to be concious of switching it off during stops and changing the setting during the day according to temp.
    The gloves don't feel warm or hot but setting 2 is enough to stop your hands getting cold.

Personally I don't ride if there is ice, but I use it between about 1 and 9 degrees.