Notices

Thread: HELP PLEASE

1. HELP PLEASE 
    hi guys

im having serious trouble with my gsxr rebuild.

the engine isnt playing ball.

heres whats happened so far.

the engine has complete new fluids.

on the very 1st start up i had a FI light and low oil pressure light.

after about 45seconds pressure light and fi went.

it did rattle abit and it eventually just had a slight ticking noise.

it was ideling fine. turned off removed oil to check for any debris.

all was fine. refilled oil to correct level. now on this start up it was horrid.

engine clunking and rattling that violently it was jumping about on paddock stands .

now it wont idle at all.

and also very alarming i had a explosion from one throttle body area and it actually popped the bodies out .(this i cannot explain)

ive check all wiring everything i can possibly think of. now it wont even fire up.

im thinking the worse and ive somehow knackered the engine.

i went back over things and wondered if i had plugged the injectors in wrong. (haynes manual does not state if the upper or lower injectors are primary or secondary) i had the explosion after swapping injector plugs over. i am led to belive from googling things that the lower injectors are the primary,which would mean i had them wired up correctly.

im at a complete loss :'(

cheers Dan

2. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    Hi Dan - really not what you want at the end of a rebuild, like you say you always start to fear the worst - I've had a few of these type moments in the past :-[. Sorry but this is going to be a bit long winded!

I'm not a mechanic or engineer but OK if I offer some common sense things to check? (you've probably gone thru' them anyway). I believe you're right about the injector wiring, lower ones being the primaries.

From what you've said, after priming, the engine ran OK at first so mechanically it's unlikely anything has come adrift, particularly if you've only had the valves reshimmed & no other engine stripping. Plugs, leads, coils were OK & in the right firing order otherwise you'd have had an obvious misfire straight away. Engine was getting fuel and air OK.

The engine clunking, banging and rattling doesn't automatically mean mechanical, highly likely to be one or two cylinders not firing properly or trying to fire at the wrong time (hence your explosion, bit extrem though !) . So what changed after you switched off, possibly nothing although something could have shaken loose or just failed electrically during the initial run.
    You say the engine still turns over on the starter so check:
    - that you now have the injector loom connected correctly. Check independently please don't assume I'm correct
    - that you did actually tighten your new new plugs & push on the leads. Are the leads touching each other causing two plugs to fire at the same time (I've had this on V8 engines)? Connectors to the coils OK & properly on?
    - Check the coils are functioning. Check the resistance - Google how to
    - have you crushed any ignition/ecu wiring during the refit ?
    - you haven't crushed or forgotten to connect any vacuum hoses to the fuel tank or airbox?
    - Does the fuel pump prime normally when the ignition is switched on? Was the fuel fresh and enough of it?
    - Can you test the fuel pump for sufficient pressure, are there any clogged fuel filters. Crap in the bottom of the tank ( don't do this, you'll only make the situation worse!) ?

Not exhaustive checks but I reckon you'll find it's probably electrical, possibly fuel. I'm sure mechanics on the forum can probably guide you better but thought I'd add some ideas based on my long list of personal 'didn't quite get it right first time ' experiences. Good luck and let us know what it turned to be

Mike

3. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    thanks Mike

you have given me a starting point.

i do believe it is not firing correctly.

so ill check the coils and associated wiring.

the fuel pump certainly has pressure and primes fine and the fuel is fresh and tank is half full.

i will also check for crushed /trapped loom wiring.

cheers

Dan

4. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    Wish I could help or offer insight but I am at a lose to this.

Good luck and keep us posted so we can all learn from this.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    I'm assuming the explosion from the throttle body means obviously there was excess fuel in cylinder and the plug fired at the point the inlet valve was open causing the fuel to ignite and exit through the inlet valve. Which would point to a firing order problem? Or timing is out? I'm 99% sure the coils are wired in the correct order according to the wiring diagram. And that the injectors are plugged in the correct order (bottom being primary and top being secondary). Could this be a grounding problem?

6. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    Plugs out !!!!! free turn and then compression test, this will tell you straight away if youve broken anything, the engin will rattle like a pig when miss firing, also fyi next time you re build fella leave the fuel and spark out of the mix until your oil light goes out on the starter, up on hte rear paddock into a low gear if you can and turn the engine full cycle, only when your sure you have compression in each cylinder would you put the plugs back in, you may have debris in a plug gap so ideal time for a clean and check for spark then make sure all timing marks have not moved or jumped teeth, check and check again, your lucky if you get a second chance dude, I would offer help but I am so busy right now and wouldnt want to let you down.

7. Re: HELP PLEASE 
    all sorted runs sweet as a nut now

stripped it all back to where i think i went wrong. re-assembled and triple check everything.

on the button 1st time idles fine, up through the revs fine. let her warm up to operating temp.....fan cut in nicely.

thanks for all advice guys really appreciate it

Dan

Nice one! So what do you think the problem was? When will you be updating the post in Members Gallery?

the problem was i had plugged the primary and secondary injectors in the wrong way. lesson learnt use the manual!!!! will update the gallery soon as i get my phone back...i dropped it and smashed the screen and it has all my pics on

Dan