Notices

Thread: Mr GSXR man

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1349678790/9#9 date=1349853775]

;D

Yep and I'm on my 3rd scorpian and the sv is far from 240,000!! It managed to remove the baffle tube of the first one and loosen 1/2 the rivets of the second! The one on there now is a special with a welded in baffle tube and stainless rivets!!!

I've also seen a Harris destroyed by backfiring the engine!!!

Trust me they are far from indestructable.
    Have you been hitting the kill switch whilst going along, to scare old ladies?
    No wonder you're destroying cans! ;D[/quote]

No me guv!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    Erm, our Harleys pop and bang all the time - are you saying it's a bad thing? :-?
    They souldn't pop and bang a lot, certanly not sounding like a backfire.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Just to labour the point, overrun the popping and burbling in a harley or most twins will not harm your exhaust, a bad fuel mixture caused by swithching of the spark leaving too much unburnt fuel in the collector pipes can, it just like making a rolling accetelane bomb for those with a misspent child hood, all petrol combustion engines naturally burble, you dont hear it in a car due the amount of silencers fitted and physical length of the exhaust,
    If you try to alter the natural (allowed for in the design) scheme of things then you CAN not always will cause your self problems, loud bang and pop=pressure, normal burble is dealt with quite happily by the diameter of the pipes.
    It doesn't happen on throttle because the fuel mixture is burnt as part of a well timed cycle, on overun however this cycle is absent and the mixture burns at will when there is either enough present in the exhaust or ignition at a random point. 4 stroke (otto) cycle:- suck, squeeze,bang and blow, all in the engine its fine, unfortunately there is no easy way to control the bang and blow in the exhaust.

Ps cerruti Harleys are normaly a little louder because
    a/ the exhausts are of a bigger diameter.
    b/ they normally have a straight through configeration
    c/ they are large Twins.

4. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGoozee
    Just to labour the point, overrun the popping and burbling in a harley or most twins will not harm your exhaust, a bad fuel mixture caused by swithching of the spark leaving too much unburnt fuel in the collector pipes can, it just like making a rolling accetelane bomb for those with a misspent child hood, all petrol combustion engines naturally burble, you dont hear it in a car due the amount of silencers fitted and physical length of the exhaust,
    If you try to alter the natural (allowed for in the design) scheme of things then you CAN not always will cause your self problems, loud bang and pop=pressure, normal burble is dealt with quite happily by the diameter of the pipes.
    It doesn't happen on throttle because the fuel mixture is burnt as part of a well timed cycle, on overun however this cycle is absent and the mixture burns at will when there is either enough present in the exhaust or ignition at a random point. 4 stroke (otto) cycle:- suck, squeeze,bang and blow, all in the engine its fine, unfortunately there is no easy way to control the bang and blow in the exhaust.

Ps cerruti Harleys are normaly a little louder because
    a/ the exhausts are of a bigger diameter.
    b/ they normally have a straight through configeration
    c/ they are large Twins.
    Agreed. The other thing to remember especially with big twins of an older design such as the BMW Boxer engine is that to get them through the tougher emission controls now they are running extremely lean (fuel/air mixture) as standard. My Beemer popped on the overun in standard trim - they all do that sir! That's with a restrictive exhaust and catalytic converter. I have subsequently removed those offending items and modified the fueling to suit. The popping noises are still there which I have a personal preference for ;D just a bit louder due to the clearer pathway for the exhaust gases. The engine runs sweeter at low and mid-range revs especially, which was the improvement I was looking for.

On your Harley, the normal popping and burbling is nothing to worry about - its part of the character of the engine. And don't worry about the banter about Harley's...its usually much worse when aimed at Beemer riders. Go onto a BMW forum and the stick given to the squids on pocket rockets is just as bad!

5. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Dont forget about the power rangers !!!!!! they come in for it too!

6. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Quote Originally Posted by cerruti
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1349678790/12#12 date=1349875436][quote author=cerruti link=1349678790/10#10 date=1349869688]Erm, our Harleys pop and bang all the time - are you saying it's a bad thing? :-?
    Yes, it's a very bad thing! But admitting that you own a Harley is the first step to recovery. ;D[/quote]

I ask an innocent question and this is the response I get.

This is exactly the reason why I haven't posted on here for a while and won't be anymore.

Thankyou very much. [/quote]

Oh dont take it to heart I'm sure it was friendly banter - give him some back

We need more ladies here on the forum even ones who ride Harleys (and I really am joking I've got nothing against Harleys at all, although my OH accuses me of being a secret Harley fan because I love Ducatis...strange man ;D ;D)

7. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellybambam
    [quote author=cerruti link=1349678790/17#17 date=1349895443][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1349678790/12#12 date=1349875436][quote author=cerruti link=1349678790/10#10 date=1349869688]Erm, our Harleys pop and bang all the time - are you saying it's a bad thing? :-?
    Yes, it's a very bad thing! But admitting that you own a Harley is the first step to recovery. ;D[/quote]

I ask an innocent question and this is the response I get.

This is exactly the reason why I haven't posted on here for a while and won't be anymore.

Thankyou very much. [/quote]

Cerruti. I wouldn't take too much notice if were you. I don't think Mr Builders view is the view of most of the people on here. In fact i'm sure Mr WB would even admit that he doesn't mean any harm by his statement. Wouldn't you Dan? I'm fairly sure it was just a poor attempt at humour?
    [/quote]

I thought it was a very good attempt at humour ;D made me laugh anyway.

Cerutti, it would be a shame if you were put off a whole forum by one very mild bit of fun (with a laughing smiley at the end of it) !

Forums are supposed to be fun places and part of this is the banter that goes on between members. If you are a Harley rider, a BMW rider, a Ducati rider, a trike rider, a yellow sports bike rider (with yellow leathers) or a crasher after the flag on a track day rider, this all will be picked up on and merriment made at your ( and my) expense.

This forum is by far the most gentle that I know of, and it's great that we have such a diverse group of people and bikes.

Gerry

8. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    ENOUGH!

This was ment to be lighthearted comment on a incedent. NOT a comment on forum etiquette.

9. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    ENOUGH!

This was ment to be lighthearted comment on a incedent. NOT a comment on forum etiquette.
    Is your spelcheck broken?

10. Re: Mr GSXR man 
    Platinum Member
    Anyway, HD's are supposed to crackle, pop and bang. After you pour 3 litres of fuel over them, and flick a match on it as you walk away.

I would have said 4 litres, but have you seen the price of petrol these days?